How to upgrade from Little Dot MK VII (balanced amp) for my Audio Technica ATH-AD2000s?
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

1000+ Head-Fier
Now that I no longer have my Sennheiser HD650s, I now longer have any need for a balanced amp.

Running AD2000s single ended is using only half of the amps two channels.

It occured to me that I now have paid $440 for 4 amp channels, and would be better off selling it and buying a higher-end single ended amp.

I'm looking to improve the detail, soundstage size, and bass extension+strength.

From what I remember reading a few months back, when picking an amp for the HD650s is that tubes are better suited to lower impedance headphones, which these are. They also apparently add warmth.

The thing is I also remember reading that SS is better for detail and extension, I'm at least going to assume the "flaws" associated with each type of amp are more prominent with lower end amps than higher end ones.

Would anyone be able to help me understand what I need, and what I stand to gain (
biggrin.gif
) from either type of headphone amp?

Once that's sorted...any suggestions/shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From what I remember reading a few months back, when picking an amp for the HD650s is that tubes are better suited to lower impedance headphones, which these are.

My thought is exactly opposite.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thought is exactly opposite.

OHH YEAH...my bad..um yeah it ws SS for low impedance oops...eugh I'm so tired
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes: Zana Deux

SS: AT-HA5000

Those cost at least 5x more on the sites I just checked.... :O

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 29
The NX03 from Rudistor is said to have good synergy with Audio-Technica headphones.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 29
Ah, sorry, I thought I didn't see a specified budget.

The G&W AT-F100 might be an option, at around US$250. It's not as good as the AT-HA5000 (I owned both, sold both) but it isn't bad for the price and does a decent job driving most low impedance AT's.

Hehe, thought Head-Fi couldn't recommend below budget, huh?
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, sorry, I thought I didn't see a specified budget.

The G&W AT-F100 might be an option, at around US$250. It's not as good as the AT-HA5000 (I owned both, sold both) but it isn't bad for the price and does a decent job driving most low impedance AT's.

Hehe, thought Head-Fi couldn't recommend below budget, huh?
tongue.gif

Well the thing is that I was assuming the MK VII was performing on the same level as the MK V ($250) when running single-ended.
My budget is pretty much whatever I can get for the MK VII plus £50/$75.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 29
hhmm... there's a F100 at the store, but since they also have Bursons, SPLs and Concertos so I haven't exactly been paying much attention to them. They're not expensive - do a search. Alternatively, get something fun and opamp swappable
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 29
The M3 is an excellent choice. If you happen to buy it, make sure you get an appropriate gain or it would be high for the AD2000. It's pretty warm sounding.

Another good option for the AD2000 is the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

The M3 is an excellent choice. If you happen to buy it, make sure you get an appropriate gain or it would be high for the AD2000. It's pretty warm sounding.

Another good option for the AD2000 is the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite.

Just make sure you act quick, the Gilmore Lite has been discontinued and they are selling the last few that they have.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 29
The Gilmore Lite seems to be sold out.
..when I sell the MK VII I don't look forward to using the headphone out from my PC till I have a new amp..
I wish the Teclast T51 had a built in DAC option, it already connnects to the PC with a USB cable, and has dual wolfson chips n stuff...
What gain would I need for the M3?

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

I thought the T51 has the lineout? Just use it to feed your amp, if you don't have a nice DAC.

The gain of the M3 depends on which opamps you decide to use.

I meant if you could use it as a DAC for the computer it'd be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back