How to turn my sony laptop into audiphile grade source?
Jul 14, 2004 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mr Do

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a sony vaio 505 laptop and would like to turn it into an audiophile grade source to better my marantz cd6000se. I'm new to this but not new to being an audiphile. Can someone give me some basic guidelines so I no where to begin.

Thanks
Do!

Jul 14, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 5
It depends how much money you would like to invest and also how do you use your laptop: as a portable or as desktop replacement.

For portable use it's better to go with a cardbus (PCMCIA) soundcards like Echo Indigo. Otherwise any USB soundcard from M-Audio (Sonica, Transit, USB Audiophile) would satisfy you (assuming you will use the analog out).

However a standalone DAC would bring you a step further.
cool.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 5
how about something like this?
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RMELT1896
(just a random store I found... look around for better prices if interested)
the RME digiface may also be a good combination for you with the cardbus card.

you can also try looking for i.Link (firewire for the non-Sony type) solutions but cardbus-based solutions will definitely be faster and more ideal. of course, once you start looking for the good ones they are very high in price.

the RME ones I mentioned above are based on the RME Hammerfall DSP soundcards and should have the same or better performance (being external to the computer environment) and thus should perform around that of my HDSP 9632. I haven't heard the external RME solution at all so this is all speculation, just so you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back