How to transform PC to a high end audio player
Feb 4, 2007 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

krele

New Head-Fier
I got tired of swapping CDs, so I was thinking into switching from my Original CD2008 cd player to - PC. I would store all cds in ape format on a hard drive array in basement, and run spdif signal to upstairs. Can I get DAC that can beat a **** out of 1000eur cd player for less than 500eur and connect it to a hdd based jukebox (pc)?

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Free your music!

It is REALLY hard to keep myself from buying one of those, especially since I got that $400 scholarship check in the mail
plainface.gif
They look brilliant!

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is REALLY hard to keep myself from buying one of those, especially since I got that $400 scholarship check in the mail
plainface.gif
They look brilliant!

I agree. I could really use one of those. The more I look at it the more Im tempted to purchase. It would be perfect in my bedroom hooked to my Entech 203.2 to stream music from my PC
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Three steps:
1. Play lossless encoded music.
2. Make sure you get bit-perfect output from your player/OS.
3. Use an external DAC of good quality.

In my case I play Apple Lossless files from iTunes through AirTunes (bitperfect) to an external Electrocompaniet DAC.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 17
most important/overlooked step. silence your pc fans and / or shove it in the closet. 'cause what's the point of spending thousands on audio gear if there's computer noise in the background
redface.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainface.gif
They look brilliant!

Just buy one and thank me later
wink.gif

I can't say enough good things about them, from the ease of playing all your CD's to sounding better than any SACD player or sub $500 DAC. I wish I was slim devices rep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most important/overlooked step. silence your pc fans and / or shove it in the closet. 'cause what's the point of spending thousands on audio gear if there's computer noise in the background
redface.gif

You would have to play your music extremely quietly to hear a PC fan in the background?

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "bit-perfect output" mean? How do we get it? Is that what ASIO4ALL does?

1. I don't know the technical aspect of bit-perfect audio. But I understand that it is critical if you want correct audio data out of a computer.
2. No idea. Other than using Mac OS X that is...
3. No idea.

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would have to play your music extremely quietly to hear a PC fan in the background?

if people here the differences between audio cables or power cords, i'm sure they can hear the computer in the background

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if people here the differences between audio cables or power cords, i'm sure they can hear the computer in the background

That really depends on the computer.
I can barely hear my PowerBook G4 at all. On normal usage (music, web, email, etc) the fans never turn on, and the only noise comes from the spinning hard drive. In my case a Hitachi Travelstar 7K100, which put out a whopping 30db!
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 17
Yeah, laptops can run fanless most of the time.
My laptop display is pretty loud (for a display) but I can live with that. On the other hand I upgraded to a Travelstar 7K60 and that thing is real loud... I assume it's about as loud as yours. It's a good thing I'm not too nitpicky about audio because I would have had to switch drives again: it makes enough noise that I think getting rid of it is more important than going lossless or using a fancy DAC. I have toyed with the idea of setting up a RAM drive for the music I want to play in order to get that damn drive to shut up.

Feb 5, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I don't know the technical aspect of bit-perfect audio. But I understand that it is critical if you want correct audio data out of a computer.
2. No idea. Other than using Mac OS X that is...
3. No idea.

BitPerfect (aka BitBatched) is a sound card setting for digital l/O that provides for a clean signal out; in-other-words, there is no audio processing (including special effects) done in the sound card. All the work is passed to the DAC for decoding/processing. This is a simplistic explanation; but, that's the kind of guy I am
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back