How to test if iPod can damage HP's
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sonnyjim

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of high-end headphones, and I'm somewhat hesitant to use them with my iPod.

Why? Well I kept hearing about how a certain firmware revision of the 6th generation iPod was damaging headphones, and this got me thinking.

I've messed around a fair bit with my iPod (5.5th generation).

First of all, a while ago my iPod stopped playing sound on the left channel. Apple told me it would cost $250 to fix (ouch). So after a bit of testing, I concluded that the problem was with headphone jack (and circuitry that connects it to the mobo). $5 later I had myself a replacement headphone jack (from ebay) -- problem solved.

So while I did save myself $245, I am now slightly paranoid that I may have accidentally discharged some static electricity onto the mobo.

What I would like to do is test it out, to make sure it is safe and can't damage my headphones (it seems fine on my cheap headphones, but I'd like to be sure).

Problem is, I have no idea how to do this. I had the idea of attaching a multimeter to an audio cable and measuring the output of my iPod, but I don't know what to look for.

Are there any hardware guys around who could give me a few pointers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back