How to tell left and right HE-500 cups when the "L" and "R" labels have faded?
Jan 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lumzi23

Head-Fier
My HE-500 cable began cutting out when I moved my head so I disconnected them to use some older ones I had. However I forgot to mentally mark which was which and now I need a foolproof way of telling the cups apart. I feel I might have figured it out (I think the right might have a bit of a jiggle but I can't sure it was the right that jiggled or the left) but I need to be sure. Is there a foolproof way to know for sure? like removing the pads and look at exposed magnets/copper/drivers or whatever they are called? Please help.

Edit: Does it actually matter which is which? I ask because I don't want to damage the phones/cable.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 8
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Also you can try something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTvJoYnpeRQ a Left / Right audio test.
I tried something like that I think. It told me which Connector on the cable was left or right, not which ear cup was left or right. For instance, no matter where I put the left connector it would always say 'left.' I may try your specific link when I get home God willing but I don't think it will be different.

Edit: I have used that test before. Thanks for the tip though.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 8
It won't change. There is no specific "right or left" cup. Just whichever one is plugged into the right or left connector on the cable. Both cups and speakers are the same and if the marking is faded, so is the headband/hardware. Just pick one to be "right" and connect it to the right wire. Then mark it so you know which way to put it on and you're good to go. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 8
  It won't change. There is no specific "right or left" cup. Just whichever one is plugged into the right or left connector on the cable. Both cups and speakers are the same and if the marking is faded, so is the headband/hardware. Just pick one to be "right" and connect it to the right wire. Then mark it so you know which way to put it on and you're good to go. 

Thank you very much for the tip.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 8
  My HE-500 cable began cutting out when I moved my head so I disconnected them to use some older ones I had. However I forgot to mentally mark which was which and now I need a foolproof way of telling the cups apart. I feel I might have figured it out (I think the right might have a bit of a jiggle but I can't sure it was the right that jiggled or the left) but I need to be sure. Is there a foolproof way to know for sure? like removing the pads and look at exposed magnets/copper/drivers or whatever they are called? Please help.

Edit: Does it actually matter which is which? I ask because I don't want to damage the phones/cable.

If you have angled pads then, when worn, the fat section needs to be to the rear of your head.

Otherwise you can put the cables back on either way, the cable will determine which is left and which is right. If the cables aren't marked either then just run a stereo test (no need to buy a car audio competition test CD, some of these are on YouTube) to see which is wired left and which is wired right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back