How to tell if a room has proper acoustics for speakers?
Jul 12, 2009 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
1. How can I tell if my room has suitable acoustics for a 2.0 speaker setup?
2. Would bookshelf speakers like those nice Hsu bookshelves be suitable to fill a bedroom? Would putting them on floorstands help?

Not really looking to buy speakers at the moment, though I want to in the future. Just gathering info at this point, since I'm totally new to speakers.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 10
no room does unless its engineered with sound in mind ... the best you can do is minimize the acoustic deficiencies through speaker and furniture placement, baffling, materials usage, etc.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 10
bergman, that's sort of what I meant. Are there any sites that can help a total beginner properly set up his room for speakers?

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 10
the best advice is first to follow manufacturers recommendations for speaker placement AND your ear ... it also helps to bring a friend over (ply him or her with a case of beer and pizza if necessary) and spend the day listening and moving furniture and speakers ... after you have it set up properly then you can fiddle with removing brightness, echoes, congestion with acoustic damping panels on walls or adding drapes/rugs and/or speaker stands ... hard surfaces generally are death

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 10
Since we're talking about a bedroom system here and most bedrooms are very limited as far as furniture placement goes I say get the speakers of your choice and begin listening to the music. Unless, of course, your wife/girlfriend are incredibly turned on by perfect sound. Then follow all above links.............

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Stand in the center of the room, clap as loud as you can, listen for resonance. Try this in different rooms to hear the difference (there will almost always be a difference), the room with the least resonance is a good choice.

Change furniture, move stuff around, hang pictures, hang curtains, fill the room up with some random stuff like clothes, sofa's, cushions, pillows, etc etc. Clap again, you should notice a drop in resonance. Ideally you shouldn't hear any, but rooms with low resonance are also fine. Empty rooms, with hardly any windows, which are fairly small and are more or less symmetrical are the worst. These will literally echo the clap.

PS:Oh yeah and if its nice and quiet itll be easier to hear the resonance :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back