How to take it apart? JVC S600
Jan 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SmOgER

500+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to the 600's quite a bit, however, I still find the bass a bit overbearing. So like any good Headfier I decided to open them up and have look and see if there was anything I could do to tame the bass. Once inside my suspicions were confirmed as there are two open holes on the back of each driver. I decided to cover one of them up with double sided tape. It was better than stock, a lot less bleed into the midrange and much less sloppy and overbearing. So I thought if covering one was good then covering both would be even better. So I covered up both holes, put everything back together and had a listen. Nope. Too much of a good thing. Covering both holes killed a lot of the bass, took away a lot of the fun factor of these phones. I liked them better with only one hole covered. I removed the tape from one of the holes and confirmed what I had originally thought, one hole is the best. Bass is much punchier, less bloated and sloppy.  

<..>

Ok so I'am curious to try this mod, but this member isn't active for quite a long time, so I can't PM him... 
How should I take the cups off? Tried the easy way but seems that something is holding them tightly, although there are no visible screws anywhere around this area.. Maybe somehow outer plastic with JVC label comes off first?

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 4
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/795

From the pics, it looks like you just carefully and simply pull off the earpads (most earpads are just a very snug fit and have some elasticity) and then you are presented with the screws visible in the first picture.

Looks like a piece of cake.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Yep, I already managed to do that. At first it looked like if the earpads were glued to the plastic, lol.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Ok small update if someone is interested...
Covered both (all) holes, sound is now much more balanced, bass decreases by great amount, but due to a HUGE lows (mainly subbass) potential these HP are offering with EQ, mod+EQ (bass tone boosted, and slightly increased mids futher) and being a "basshead with a sense of mids ant highs" (recently discovered that
biggrin.gif
)  I managed to get decently balanced sound with deep bass impact, and it's not even close to crippling, lol.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back