How to take away my DT-990s sibilance?
May 31, 2007 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I was just wondering one thing. I really like my dt990 but they are very sibilant with a lot of music, if I could just take away this I would be very happy with them. I guess the sibilance is in around 9-10khz It looks so in headrooms graphs and I feel that can be right.

graphCompare.php

So any suggestion on what to do can I get some typ of EQ or anything to put in the signalpath. Any modd on my x-can maybe.

Thanks!

May 31, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 48
Depending on song, my EQ settings vary. Sometimes I have just -1db on 10Khz, sometimes -2db on 10khz, sometimes -1db on 7khz AND -2db on 10Khz. It tames sibilance slightly. I hestitate to reduce more cuz it really starts to harm the sound, but experiment if you find your own ideal values.

Warm and smooth sounding amplifier, be it SS or tube, is also recommended. Good source helps too. However, the treble spike is part of the sound of DT990. There are times it bothers me and need some fixing, and there are times it doesnt bother me at all.

Funny thing is that my old DT-880's sibilance never bothered me. It was mostly smoothened with just an hour of burn-in.
*edit* though this shouldnt surprise me. DT-880 treble spike is much smoother than DT990. =651&graphID[]=591]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=591
Beyer should have left the treble alone and should have just fleshened out the lean bass of DT-880 when making this new DT-990. A shame this flaw tarnishes the otherwise great sound of this headphone.

May 31, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 48
The sibilance is actually more in the 4k-7k region to my ears on my 880's. You could try EQing that section a bit, see how it suits you. Otherwise tubes may help, or the Beyers just aren't for you.

May 31, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sibilance is actually more in the 4k-7k region to my ears on my 880's. You could try EQing that section a bit, see how it suits you. Otherwise tubes may help, or the Beyers just aren't for you.

Hmm... Headrooms graph is hard to read, but it seems to be higher than 4k-7k in my eyes. I dont know for sure though.

May 31, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Headrooms graph is hard to read, but it seems to be higher than 4k-7k in my eyes. I dont know for sure though.

Running RoomEQ Wizard, when I run sine waves, the 4k-7k section is easily the loudest and sharpest on my DT880's. The really high stuff I don't even bother with, it's sort of just ambient treble anyhow
wink.gif

May 31, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Running RoomEQ Wizard, when I run sine waves, the 4k-7k section is easily the loudest and sharpest on my DT880's. The really high stuff I don't even bother with, it's sort of just ambient treble anyhow
wink.gif

Well that largely depends on music.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll download and try it. Lets see errr listen what my ears say.

May 31, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 48
The problem is that I don't have any EQ in my setup. Do you guys now of any hardvare EQ that is good and not to pricey? I don't want to use it much, just to tame the spikes a little, as maza says it doesn't always bother me, with some good recordings, mostly jazz and classical they are just wonderfull as they are.

May 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 48
I took a quick look with Room EQ. All wise fine untill I putted 6000Hz. DAMN that was loud and so was 7000Hz. 8000Hz was bit mellower but it again took a sudden loudness burst on 9000-11000Hz area.

So we both were sort of right, atleast for my ears.

May 31, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen a response graph that colored
redface.gif
. Look at that massive bass hump! I'm still tempted to try em out though :p

*cough* K701 and HD650 *cough*
biggrin.gif

=255&graphID[]=591&graphID[]=549]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=549

Graphs wont tell the whole story though, as is especially case with K701. Bass on DT-990 is surprisingly natural and good sounding. Its stronger than ideal flat, but in a good way IMO.

May 31, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took a quick look with Room EQ. All wise fine untill I putted 6000Hz. DAMN that was loud and so was 7000Hz. 8000Hz was bit mellower but it again took a sudden loudness burst on 9000-11000Hz area.

So we both were sort of right, atleast for my ears.

Yeah, we're also using different headphones
wink.gif
. The treble is supposed to be a bit different on the 880's and 990's.

May 31, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen a response graph that colored
redface.gif
. Look at that massive bass hump! I'm still tempted to try em out though :p

Speakers are supposed to be flat, headphones aren't!

May 31, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 48
The cause of sibilance goes deeper than mere frequency response, the key is in the harmonic distortion products and the distribution thereof. Briefly summed up, a headphone which has larger amounts of harmonics, particularly the higher order harmonics from the 4th on up is going to sound harsh and sibilant.

graphCompare.php

Taking a look at the graph above and it's pretty clear why the DT-990 would tend towards sibilance; there's a significant amount of high-order harmonic distortion. Note all the spikes on the 990 above 700Hz, the HD600 is essentially clean after a few squiggles between 700Hz & 800Hz while the DT-990 has 6 significant spikes going all the way to the right limit of the graph. That's the problem, and unfortunately nothing can be done to fix it without physically altering the drivers.

May 31, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Yeah, we're also using different headphones
wink.gif
. The treble is supposed to be a bit different on the 880's and 990's.

Well... damn.
biggrin.gif

But take a look at the graphs again. The spikes on DT990 are in exactly same region as in DT880, but DT-990 spikes are just larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back