How to survive a day without sleep? tips pls
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
As i write this..its 4 am in singapore now.

been working on an assignment which i gotta submit in the day.

dont think will get much sleep today.....havent slept much last nite also.

can you guys share some tips on how to keep awake and not fall on the ground ?

also..how not to look like a zombie?

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 49
Lucky for you, this is my speciality.

Take a one hour nap.
Drink Loads of water.
Try and limit caffeine.
If you are sitting down all the time (I presume you are), then every half an hour do a few squats and/or push ups to get the blood flowing, really helps.
DO NOT GET DISTRACTED (get off Head-fi).
Try and be in a cool environment.
Try not to eat too much. But on the other hand, make sure you do eat.
And, if you are straining your eyes too much, rubbing ice cubes around them is quite nice.

That ought to be enough for now.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 49
Strong coffee, lots of it. Or any caffeine-happy drink if you dont like coffee. And strong willpower, and some physical activity that keeps your mind awake and hyperactive. Sitting down and relaxing is fatal. Naps are good, just keep your alarm clock ready. No more than 30 minute of continuous sleeping or your body will fall in too deep sleep and staying awake afterwards might become more difficult!

I think there are no other options. Body needs sleep and it informs you about it and there is no way to counter it, even with caffeine. It just makes you more active and less likely to fall asleep without noticing.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 49
Go for a run?

Get that blood pumping. Drink some coffee and listen to some trashing metal too. Maybe all at once.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 49
Good advice so far. As crazy as it sounds, excersize will help - just don't do anything hardcore or you'll need even more sleep. Just enough to keep the blood flowing. Lots of water is good. Dehydration is a major cause of fatigue.

Visine works as well to not look as tired. Eat healthy but not heavy food (no mega burritos)...

The human body can take way more than we think, but eventually you will need to catch up.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 49
Watch a really scary movie while eating a bunch of candy, let paranoia do the rest.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 49
water is a good suggestion, so is NAUTRAL sugar, i.e: fruit juice (I like cranberry, most people like orange)

I'd also suggest getting a B-multi in you (B6/B12 multi, at least 500mg), will do more than caffiene

and if you must have caffiene, do not hit energy drinks, go for coffee, doesn't matter how strong it is, the natural caffiene is what you want, not the artifical caffiene

once you get past the first ~25-30 hours its smooth sailing, usually around hour 48-50 you'll start feeling weird (after you eat breakfast #2, for sunrise #2, your head gets a bit wonky coping with that), and the crash will probably hit around hour 70-75 (around breakfast #3 for sunrise #3, by that time, don't be surprised if you're slurring your speech, and feel jittery when you lay down)

things to avoid doing at all costs:
any long exposure driving, highway hypnosis is very real, especially when tired, and its very scary

any long exposure physical activity, for example running a marathon or working a 10 hour shift in a kitchen, if you've been up for 12-16 hours already, expect a blackout

some other notes:
music doesn't really have an impact, you can listen to all the thrash metal @ deafening volumes you want on your Grado's or whatever other scenario you've got planned out, it just hurts like hell and gives you a headache

basically keep to a normal daily routine, and you'll be fine (don't get caught up thinking about the exhaustion, keep yourself going), I went through three days of insomnia in undergrad (no explanation, I just didn't want to sleep, was awake for around 68 hours with 4 hours of sleep previous to that, and only slept like 7 hours at the end of it, probably the most productive three days of my life so far), the easiest way to "survive" is getting into a rhythm with it, you just ignore that everyone else is tucking themselves in and sleeping, and keep about your business

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 49
Power naps (15 minutes), and lots of drinks (non sugar).

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

and if you must have caffiene, do not hit energy drinks

Why not energy drinks? Usually their active ingredients are caffeine (about same amount as strong cup of coffee) and taurine and some other herbs, and vitamines. All good ingredients for staying up. Energy Drinks and Jolt Cola has always been popular drinks for nerds who stay up almost through whole weekend playing network games, and has been quite effective or so they say.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 49
fear and pain...
That'll keep you awake

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 49
x2 for power naps. You have to sleep for exactly 21 minutes and you'll feel a lot more awake afterwards. I kid you not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not energy drinks? Usually their active ingredients are caffeine (about same amount as strong cup of coffee) and taurine and some other herbs, and vitamines. All good ingredients for staying up. Energy Drinks and Jolt Cola has always been popular drinks for nerds who stay up almost through whole weekend playing network games, and has been quite effective or so they say.

They make you crash in the end really. It's the large sugar content that dumps glucose and then makes you crash.

I second the B vitamins, they're amazing to help keep oxygen to the brain. Caffeine is a last resort, you'll have to keep loading it on. Intaking about a 12 ounce glass of water on the hour helps a lot. Stick to something like diet mountain dew when you get to the caffiene for a cheap drink that will not crash you with the sugar intake. Focus, as others have said, is paramount. Lose it and not only will it be another mountain to climb before you finish your work, you'll get sleepy quick. I find that food can help a lot too near the end, apples are very helpful to keep you awake and away from hunger in the morning hours. Power naps are great, but do not take them when your nearing the morning hours past your bedtime, they are best in preperation. You may end up not waking up to your alarm and even missing your deadline.

Keep your work organized, your going to lose focus at the end and your going to be tempted to go on autopilot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back