how to stop a cube C30 from glitching?
Feb 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zeroemission

New Head-Fier
i just bought a cube C30 recently and while i see what all the fuss is about with sound quality, it isn't meaning diddly to me right now as my unit glitches on EVERY mp3 in the first second of play. a little less annoying, the playback volume drops after an hour or two of listening.

at first, the player would literally hiccup at the start of every mp3 until it crashed an i reset it. that stopped the skipping, but now it just blasts every track at full volume for a 1/4 second or so and then mutes to a lower volume, it doesn't do it on a fresh charge at full volume, but at 25/31 or lower it does it or after the volume drops off with a couple hours of full volume listening. i've tried resetting it a bunch of times to no avail.

i couldn't find any firmware updates online for the C30 or even the gumstick to try and fix the glitching and see that the player isn't supported by rockbox either and no one at house of dap bothered to get back to my email on the topic either.

i haven't tried using WAVs yet as i don't have a mini card for it. ALL of my mp3s are 320kbs and are trimmed to start at the exact beginning of every song with no silence gaps. the only thing i can think of is to go re-edit EVERY song's original WAVs to include 1/2 second of silence and re-convert them into mp3s again with each song starting after the glitch. i don't think i should have to do this. 

until i find a way to fix this, the cube 30 is going to be demoted to a backup player as i just bought a sansa clip+ for glitch free playback and maybe a little extra volume and decent SQ.

am i the only one having their player mess up the intro of every song? know any fixes without my having to spend a couple weeks re-editing my entire music collection to appease the player?

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 12
This firmware file V007.023 is a direct link to Cube website. (2011-10-17)
http://www.51cube.com/download/soft3/C30%20023.rar

C30 firmware V007.022 (2011-10-10)
http://www.51cube.com/download/soft3/C30%20022.rar

C30 firmware V007.021 (2011-1-13)
http://www.51cube.com/download/soft3/V007.021.rar

C30 007.020 (2010-10-20)
http://51cube.com/download/soft/C30%20007.020.rar

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 12
The firmware updater instruction is in Chinese.
Fully charge player before you do anything.
You will lost your music files. Back up files before update.

1. Unzip file.
2. Double click "StUpdaterApp_4MIN"
3. Turn off player.
4. Hold "M" key before connect to USB cable. (Keep holding "M" key.)
5. The software will "searching" player.
6. After the software found the player, release "M" key.
7. Check "Format Data Area".
8. Click "Start".
9. It will take a few minutes. (My guess is lesser than 2 mins.) Walk away if waiting is no fun for you.
10. Follow computer screen instruction.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 12
looks like a useless solution for me then. i can't hold a button AND plug anything in at the same time as i only have one hand. if you look closely at the pic of my bike, you can see it has no left handlebar. that very issue drove me nuts about trying to get a sansa clip zip i bought to register on my hard drive with a similar 2 handed procedure until i found the setting to change it from "auto detect" to whatever the choice was for windows compatability.

is there no way to do that procedure with the unit already plugged in?

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 12
hmmm.... maybe i could get a USB extender cable, tape that down and hold the button with my thumb or pinky while using the other fingers to plug it in. i TRIED to do that with the sansa cable for over half an hour before giving up in disgust because that player had a really short & stiff cable that liked to be twisted upside down and refused to allow me to plug it in while holding the player too. your idea of securing the cable might work or i might even be able to just turn my PC around and try the same thing as the C30 lets me use my nice soft 3 foot long camera cable where the sansa had a weird sized mini jack.

let me get back to you on this. maybe i can make it work. i had it in my mind that i already couldn't because of the sansa fiasco. not only is the camera cable easier to work with, but the shape of the C30 lends itself better to doing both with one hand. this isn't the kind of thing that one can get done using one's toes as i do when doing stuff like using a ruler as a straight edge. it gets really frustrating dealing with issues like this where a procedure is designed to work with 2 hands. DON'T get me started on my old photoimpact software that will only let you sample a color in a photo by pushing two buttons on opposite sides of the keyboard! LOL

once i stopped to think about the differences between the 2 players & the cables i have, i think it might be doable. i'm about to start my day, but will give it a go later and see if i can do it. it's too bad there isn't just some sort of "remind your computer that your player is connected" option that automatically turns on when your player's connected and you push the M button. maybe i gave up too easy this time where i tried way to long last time with the sansa... apples (no ipod pun intended) and oranges.

THANKS A BUNCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Error (X)
Unable to open firmware.sb firmware file.

i was able to get the PC to recognize the player by plugging the cable into the C30 and starting to plug it into the back of my PC and the hold the button while pushing it in the rest of the way, but i keep getting that error message every time i try to update. it didn't work when i tried plugging the cable into the PC 1st and holding the player's plug with my teeth while plugging it in either.

for what it's worth, i have windows XP and renamed the file C30 firmware update. after looking the error message up, i found this thread at mp4 nation http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=21597 and am trying the procedure again with the file renamed to it's original C30 023.rar name and am unzipping it with 7zip. i ONLY downloaded the C30 023.rar file and not the others.

OK, when i went back and renamed the file and unzipped it, it included other files besides the one you told me to click on and automatically initialized without me unplugging and re-plugging. it looks like i'm good to go now. it seems my PC NEVER does anything the same way a procedure is described and i'm not a hacker, but i think i can update now as the checkbox is highlighted and the player is recognized. it's annoying that i had to rename the file in something i'll be clueless about if i ever have to repeat the procedure. i like to name ALL of my programs in their plain english name. i'll have to create a folder for the original rar so i know what it is and don't delete it as i do anything i don't recognize.

it's updating right now without selecting "full media erase". hopefully that's it.

OK, after the drama of losing my files anyways and playing hide and seek with the chinese menu until i stumbled across languages hidden under a SECOND menu, i'm re-loading my tunes again. hopefully all is well now. i'm going to make a note of exactly where english is buried in settings so i can find it easier next time. somehow i re-enabled the audio feature that names everything... i always crack up the way it calls e-book e-boo, but that's OK, i kind of like it and actually turned it off by accident before. it give the player character.

thank you very much for your help. i'm about as literate in computers as i am chinese. in 17 more minutes i should hopefully have a properly functioning player. if not, i should be getting my sansa clip+ today anyways.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 12
oh well, it's STILL doing it only maybe not as much as before as it only started blasting intros for a fraction of a second and only after a couple hours of bus riding. i wish i knew why it does that and how to fix it as it seems that other people's players don't do it.

it does work with the 32gb card that i just put in it only it slows boot up times every time i turn it on and it introduces tiny gaps between continuous WAV files, but otherwise sounds excellent with WAVs and very good with 320kps mp3s too. the firmware upgrade didn't resolve the issue. it must be that everyone else's mp3s have more of an intro gap than mine that are edited to start just a few samples before the first significant sound in a track.

if anyone has any other ideas, i'm all ears. pun intended

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Hello, this links does not work no more. There is another place where to get the c30's firmware?
My Cube has frozen after a reset, only a warning "Repair and format" shows at boot.
Thanks a lot.
Quote:
This firmware file V007.023 is a direct link to Cube website. (2011-10-17)
http://www.51cube.com/download/soft3/C30%20023.rar

C30 firmware V007.022 (2011-10-10)
http://www.51cube.com/download/soft3/C30%20022.rar

C30 firmware V007.021 (2011-1-13)
http://www.51cube.com/download/soft3/V007.021.rar

C30 007.020 (2010-10-20)
http://51cube.com/download/soft/C30%20007.020.rar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back