How to solder a headphone cables?
Apr 9, 2017 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LightDarkSonic

100+ Head-Fier
Both my Pro 400 and DT 880 aren't really usable as one driver isn't working. The pro 400 I checked and it's the internal wiring that isn't soldered on the board as it shoul be, now the DT 880 I still haven't checked and don't know if it is the cable or an internal problem too. What solder and how to proceed so they work again?

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Honestly, any solder would work. Some really high end cables use silver solder, but I really don't see much purpose in that. 

Try your headphones with a different cable. If it doesn't work with another cable, it's probably internal wiring or the jack that has issues. If the cables aren't removeable, you'll just have to open them up to see if there is a wire that is loose.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 12
The Pro 400 I confirmed the wire wasn't connected, my dad tried to solder but it still doesn't work so is there something I have to pay attention to so it works as planned?

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 12
Well make sure you're not shorting the wires. If uninsulated wires touch, the whole system is shorted. If wires aren't shorted and the soldering was done properly, the headphones should work, unless the drivers themselves are broken. If the cables are detachable, check with a new cable and make sure to check the input jack on the headphones as well. If the cables are not, your problem might lie in the cables themselves(within the rubber insulation). If the latter is the case, you'll have to rewire the headphones completely.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 12
if you have a multimeter you can check the cables pretty easily put your multimeter on the ohms setting

put the neg lead on the sleeve (ground) and the positive on the tip to test the left you should see something around the ohms of your headphones rating  then test the right by moving the positive lead to the ring

I'm too lazy to open my DT770's right now (sorry) but you can open your DT880's easily, remove ear pad, get a small screw drive to pop retaining ring carefully tilt driver out.. do that on both sides then you can test the continuity from the wire from left ear cup to right side (what side is out on your dt880's?)

here is a photo testing the left channel of my dt770's on my AWESOME (i have a better one...but this one was easier to get to right now) $4 harbor freight multimeter

edit.. oh yeah once you have the headphone opened you can test the driver (to some extent) by putting the neg lead on the neg terminal on the driver and the red on the positive .. it should come up near the rated ohms if not ..it maybe blown

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 12
I have amultimeter just can't get consistent readings with it, not sure if I'm putting the tips correctly. Any advice?

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 12
I have amultimeter just can't get consistent readings with it, not sure if I'm putting the tips correctly. Any advice?
A lot of oem cables are enamel covered that could be your trouble.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 12
My father is pretty bad with soldering iron so I guess trying to redo it may work, anything to watch out for? There is no way it could short as it is the soldering of the internal wires and they are pretty far apart.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 12
As buke9 mentioned, I'd check the enamel coating too. If you soldered with the coating still on, the current won't go through. You can either strip the enamel coating or burn it off(i find buring it off easier). 

As I mentioned earlier, it could be that the cables are broken inside the shielding.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Will try burning the enamel again then and resoldering, specially because one of the cups disconnected form the main structure of the phone and I would often use it anyway, that's why I think it may be just that, at least it's worth a shot

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 12

are you trying to measure from the plug?  ... just put the neg lead (make sure it is making good contact) on the sleeve (part nearest the cable) then the positive lead on the tip or ring (to measure either left or right) ... again make sure both leads or making good contact..

at first the meter will jump around probably then it should (if cable and drivers are correct) settle near the rated ohms as in my pic above.

beyer will sell you the replacement cable for $18~ However.. annoyingly i believe they charge a flat $15 shipping..

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/service-set-anschlusskabel.html

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm not close to the phones now but will try what you said when I'm home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back