How to soften the loud highs of the hd650?
Jan 10, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #31 of 39
Yes I am the first to say that the hd650 has so much highs in it, but that isn't the proof that it doesn't.

Some of you say that I have to check an audiologist.......

I just compare the HD650 with older speakers.

Comparisons:
The following speakers have so little high in them that you have to set the treble to maximum to imitate the screaming of the HD650.

- KEF C55
- HD420
- KEF Caprice
- Most other speakers older than 10 years.

I must admit that most closed headphones that I checked in 1996 had much highs in it except the HD265 that one almost have no highs to be heard. For example the HD250-2 has also got that much highs in it, but I had to keep it, because I needed a closed headphone for use with the microphone.

I should say: be honest and compare the hd650 with older speakers. The treble is screaming!
What was wrong with the speakers of the 80's. What was wrong with KEF C55 and the HD420 and many more?
I hear the difference, can you?

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You keep on referring to your "too good ears", and I hate to say it but, over sensitivity to high frequencies often is due to damaged eardrum. If the HD650's sound bright and harsh, it might be your ears that are causing this sound of harshness. Harshness is often due to distortion. If I were you, I would get my ears checked out.

smily_headphones1.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #33 of 39
I'll just butt in here to give another opinion....though it's sort of following Krammer. I find the 650 actually has more treble extension then the 580/595. What really seperates it from the 580/600 is a really smooth response in the mids. It doesn't seem as recessed in the certain upper mid frequencies as the 580/600, though/ IMO. It can show up as "dark" on a muddy system.....way more then the 580/600 because of this lack of emphasis in the mids. It's totally dependant on perception. I personally don't find Grados extremely harsh or bright as other people do: they're obviously weighted towards the treble, but since they're balanced, my ears don't get fatigued. IMHO, a headphone can get fatiguing if it has a large fluctuation in frequencies. Now the HD650 normally doesn't have such drastic fluctuations in frequency (less so then the 580). So....I'd say either try a Grado, or get a better source (a source that can give you more detail and get rid of this recession in the mids that's giving you fatigue).

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by KShep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...what are 'flats'?

They replace the bowls on the RS series and pretty much eliminate most of the highs. They sound warm and mellow without any harshess.

Grado Flat Pads

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #35 of 39
You can also try (to see if you like it) pushing the headphones closer to your ears, this will increase the percieved bass and decrease some of the high frequencies. If you like that, you can always take the pads off and smash them under some books for a while.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They replace the bowls on the RS series and pretty much eliminate most of the highs. They sound warm and mellow without any harshess.

Grado Flat Pads

Can those Grado Flat Pads also be placed on the HD650? I read in another thread here about the vwap flats, but I can't find any information, do they still exist?

I am going to study the frequency curve now with plug-in software for nuendo (cubase).

Conclusion thus far: Too much highs in it, and that is probably causing what some call the veil.
The veil is probably a masking effect of some low mid warm tones caused by the screaming highs that nobody wants to hear. (ha ha ha
icon10.gif
)

The reason that the quality of the HD650 is less than the 20 year old models from Sennheiser is probably caused because they don't do acoustic damping anymore, that's too expensive and takes too much time for the factory to develop and for the machines (the ever moving conveyer
rolleyes.gif
).
The lack of dampening with those acoustic materials is causing the screaming highs.

Best way of dampening so far: 2 pieces of shammy per speaker put into the earpads in front of the black foam. Only use artificial shammy, the natural shammy (real leather) dampens too much.

Nano nano
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #37 of 39
I think it's just you who are too sensitive. Measured on a graph, the HD650 has far less treble energy than it does mids or bass. As for dampening, the entire transducer itself is covered with a dampening material. You can see it if you look at the driver from behind.

Don't ever use any Grado cans, you're likely to blow your head off:

graphCompare.php

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by default username /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the shrill tones of the hd650 are too much for me...

I know what you mean by this even if some other posters disagree with you. Burn-in helps but won't fundamentally change how the HD650 sounds. I'd say (sadly) try some other headphones. To my ears the HD600 didn't suffer from this, and neither do the SA5000 or RS-1, but they all have their own limitations. On the upside, it's fun (but expensive) trying them out. Good hunting!

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by default username
I should say: be honest and compare the hd650 with older speakers. The treble is screaming!
What was wrong with the speakers of the 80's. What was wrong with KEF C55 and the HD420 and many more?
I hear the difference, can you?

I have heard GOOD speakers from the 80's and they "had highs in them". I think any great speaker will have a fairly balanced sound and prevalent high frequencies. Your older speakers sound like they don't have properly working tweeters or have been overused or something. I used to have a pair of reference infinity's with the emit-r tweeter bought in the late 80's- you wanna talk about highs - reproduced up to 45,000 hz? They'd have your ears bleeding! I don't think it's a case of generational technology, it's a case of you being intolerant of certain frequencies.
Oh, and I'm sure most people around here could tell the difference between your anti-treble 1980's speakers and competent-balanced speakers/headphones. Most people on this forum do listen occasionally.

You might want to start at really low volumes, day by day, and slowly work up to normal high frequency thresholds. Good luck, and sorry about your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back