How to shield a cable?
Jan 7, 2008 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
I figured people in this sub-forum might know the answer.
I just built a new PC, and there's a front audio/mic panel on the case. I connected the sound card to it using the cable that's soldered to the fron panel's jacks. There's a lot of interference I can hear, especially from the hard drives (I can literally hear them start spinning), and some general static.
Q: is there any way, any product which will let me shield the cable to eliminate the interference?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 9
I was thinking more along the lines of sleeve of some sort that I can put over the existing cable. I dread the thought of having to solder new cables there, the room is very limited.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm a complete noob, but maybe this gets some discussion going:

you could wrap the cable in alufoil and connect it to the cables ground wire on the source side.

this mod should be cheap, maybe you could just try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Yr not gonna do a good job without disassembling the the rig, but yeah, try the alu foil if u can get your fingers in there.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 9
did your case come with an EMI ring? you could just pop that on

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 9
I would've gladly tried aluminium foil, but the case has a clear side. The thought alone bugs me.
Thanks a lot for all ideas!!! I think I'll go with copper tape, especially since the motherboard has some copper cooling shrouds on north and south bridge, I think it should look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back