how to setup my PC so i can access files via internet?
Jan 19, 2008 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
so, my desktop is windows xp pro, and my laptop is ubuntu linux

i'd like to setup my desktop so that, i can access files on it from my laptop, whether i be home on my personal WiFi router, or anywhere else

is there an easy way to do this?

for example, i'd like to store music files on my desktop, and sometimes, play them, streaming on my laptop; or store documents on the desktop, and access them on the laptop wherever i'm at

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 6
You could set up an FTP server to acess the files over the internet. I don't think you could stream music over this, but you could download it.
At home, you can set up a network. I know this can be done between Windows and Linux, but you'll have to do some research into how to get it working. However, both the laptop and desktop need to be connected wirelessly or with ethernet. If you want a wireless pc to see a wired one, you'd have to bridge the networks I think.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 6
the have a program called Wii connect which is good for setting up FTP type server it even has a pretty cool interface that allows you to steam all kinds of music and photo's along with short films or long films depending on what you streaming it to. They're are also lots of remote desktop apps. Google around till you find something you like I guess.

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 6
I'd say ORB. I just set it up yesterday and it's easy and free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back