How to Setup Digital Optical Audio connection with external DAC, Macbook, and Speakers?
Feb 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

goodolcheez

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I'm a newb to digital optical connection. 

How do you set it up??

Say you have an external DAC.

You have a set of speakers that have RCA Outs.

You have a Macbook Pro which I believe supports digital out.

My biggest question is I have no idea how all the cables connect to each other to "produce" "sound", lol.   Does anyone have pictures of the complete setup?

Where is the *starting point*?  Does it start from headphone out port on the Macbook?  I don't see optical out on the laptop. It doesn't exist...

And I don't see optical In on the speakers so how da hell do you connect optical connection??  it doesn't make any sense to me at all..... 

This is something I have been wonder for like 15 years?  I searched on the web and there is not a single picture of setting up such thing.  Is it top secret or something... I don't get it.
confused_face%281%29.gif

please advise.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 2
Nevermind...

I think I got how this concept works.   Run fiber optic cable from 35mm audio-out jack (using optical to mini jack adapter) from laptop that supports digital audio.  The fiber optic cable then connects to the external DAC, which acts as a receiver. If the DAC has only analog outputs (RCA Outs), then run RCA cable from the unit to the speakers that have RCA Inputs! 

Ha!

Did I get this concept correct? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back