How to set up my DAP's balanced output?
Oct 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

orsonwellz

New Head-Fier
Hi folks...

I'm a long-time Head-Fi reader, but I seldom post, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place with this post or am doing anything else like the under-informed rookie that I am.

My question is this: What would you say is the best way to utilize the balanced out feature on my Opus #1 DAP?

Here's what I'm dealing with...getting the proper balanced headphone cable is no problem, whether I opt to begin trying balanced with my 400i, my 6XX or my Meze Classic 99. But I can't seem to figure out the best way to connect from my Opus to my iFi Zen CAN, prior to including my headphones in the chain.

As you may know, the Opus has a 2.5mm balanced output, while the Zen CAN has a 4.4mm balanced input. Obviously, an adapter of some type is required.

But here's the sticking point: I use my Opus almost exclusively as my bedside audio source. Which means I need easy access to it in order to punch up the desired music, etc. The only 2.5-to-4.4mm adapters I've seen on Amazon are very, very short. They would permit me to hook up the Opus to the Zen only if I place and leave the Opus right next to the Zen. Which means that with the balanced circuit hooked up I could not sit nearby my equipment and use my Opus. Rather, I would have to somehow see and utilize the Opus menus as it sits tucked into the little cabinet that houses my Zen. Unless, of course, I also utilized an extension cable. And there's the rub. I can't find any cord of decent length (say 2 or 3m) that is either 2.5 to 2.5, 4.4 to 4.4, or some combination of the two. Adapters of all sorts, yes...but they're all so short...and I'm guessing that's because they are designed for connecting a DAC to an amp, in which case a length of several inches is just fine.

Am I missing something here?

I can go directly from my headphones into my Opus, of course, without the need of any connecting accessories other than the balanced headphone cable and, perhaps, a 2.5-to-4 pin adapter. But I want to involve my Zen amp; it really improves the listening experience.

So...any suggestions? At least some other folks must do this sort of arrangement, right? I suspect there's a straightforward solution to this, but my addled brain will not help me figure out what that solution is. Story of my life.

I've probably neglected to provide some important piece of information. If so, just let me know. I'll respond forthwith.

Otherwise, thanks in advance for whatever help or advice you can offer.

Standing by...

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 8
2.5 to 2.5? IDK, I just had this open in another tab. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843066350.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.40162911UEaW0J

Granted, this is JUST five feet of cable, so that's not terribly long. BUT it's better than a dongle-style connector.
Thanks, Sebastian, for the reply.

I actually tried a cable just like this one that I found on Amazon. For some reason, it didn't work. I used it to interconnect between my Opus and Zen CAN, and then plugged a Senn 6XX balanced headphone cable into the Zen Can. I could hear signal, but it was very intermittent and distorted, no matter the volume. Could the malfunction have been because this cable is actually a replacement balanced cable for a Senn 598 headphone? Maybe. Could my system have been at fault? Who knows?

What really surprises me is that there appears to be no such thing as just a simple 2.5mm to 2.5mm extension cable or a 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable. If there was then I could rig up the kind of lengthy connection I want by combining one of those cables with one some kind of 2.5-4.4mm or 4.4-2.5mm adapter, which are readily available on Amazon.

Any other ideas out there?

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 8
Oct 22, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 8
That would defeat the purpose, as you're no longer running a balanced system
I'm afraid you don't understand at all what "balanced" means.

Normally if we connect say a pre-amp to an amp balanced we use a 3 wire connection.
Hot/Cold/Ground. At the receiver there is a differential amp comparing the hot and the cold and rejecting any difference between the two.

In the headphone world they use "balanced" in a very weird way.
Normally you have a headphone with a TRS so L,R and a common ground
You can replace this by a TRRS, L, Lground, R, Rground.
Indeed a 4 wire connection, 2 wires for each driver just like you connect 2 speakers to a stereo amp.
Nothing balanced at all about this connection, isn't it?

The output of the Opus1 is a 4 wire connection over 2.5 TRRS headphone out.
If you go from this to 2x RCA, you go from a single ended 2 wire connection to a single ended 2 wire connection for each channel because what is called "balanced" in the headphone world is simply single ended.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm afraid you don't understand at all what "balanced" means.

Normally if we connect say a pre-amp to an amp balanced we use a 3 wire connection.
Hot/Cold/Ground. At the receiver there is a differential amp comparing the hot and the cold and rejecting any difference between the two.

In the headphone world they use "balanced" in a very weird way.
Normally you have a headphone with a TRS so L,R and a common ground
You can replace this by a TRRS, L, Lground, R, Rground.
Indeed a 4 wire connection, 2 wires for each driver just like you connect 2 speakers to a stereo amp.
Nothing balanced at all about this connection, isn't it?

The output of the Opus1 is a 4 wire connection over 2.5 TRRS headphone out.
If you go from this to 2x RCA, you go from a single ended 2 wire connection to a single ended 2 wire connection for each channel because what is called "balanced" in the headphone world is simply single ended.
Thank you, Roseval, for your informative reply. The RCA/balanced relationship was all news to me. Looks like that might be the way for me to go.

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Can we please get a update?? I just ordered the same cable for my zen can :) want to know if I should just return it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back