How to set up a 2.0 speaker system for my PC and PS3
May 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VeerK

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have a PC and PS3 sitting on my desk and I currently use my PC with Sennheiser HD 598s and a Creative Soundblaster ZxR. Since I have both my PC and PS3 connected to the same monitor (Asus VS239H-P) via DL-DVI and HDMI respectively, I am stuck using the headphone jack on the back of my monitor any time I want to use headphones with my PS3. I realized I had some left over Polk R150's from my HT set up from 7 years ago so I pulled them upstairs to use with my PS3 and maybe even the PC when I don't feel like going with headphones. I know I need some sort of amp to translate the RCA/Toslink from my PS3 to the passive bookshelf Polks, but I was hoping I could get some recommendations from you fine folks. I blew all my disposable cash on my rig and I have limited space on my desk see here (http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f4/f46454b9_IMAG0556.jpeg) for any amp so it would have to be a sweet spot between price and performance. I would also like to hook up my PC to the speakers as well, but I already have my headphones hooked up to them. I am assuming if I use the Toslink out on the ZxR to the amp I could get PC sound out of my R150's, so maybe an amp thingy with RCA and Toslink/Optical or just 2 optical inputs? Sorry for the mess, I really dig my set up as it is and I figure using the R150s with some amp thingy would be better than most computer speaker packages they sell online. (Also, wouldn't be opposed to dropping in a compact sub if it would really help the system.) 

Thank you!

May 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 5
AV Receiver is a good option, there are plenty of cheap ones around with multiple HDMI inputs. This also gives you the option of upgrading to surround in the future.

May 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't want to upgrade top surround in the future, I need something cheap with a small footprint that can drive the Polk R150s without too much problem. I use my Senn 598s for music, movies, and gaming, but sometimes my headaches mean I'd rather have some speakers for gaming. I don't know if such a device exists, but I definitely can't drop a $100 to find one. I am looking at the Lepai T-amp as a possibility, but I think up to $50-$75 is as far as I will go. Thanks for your suggestions thus far, I really appreciate it especially being a noob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back