How to send correct sample rate to external DAC from Windows 10
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Tybot

500+ Head-Fier
So I have a feeling this question has been asked numerous times but I searched this forum, read 30+ threads and didn't find a solid answer.

All I'm trying to do is have my Topping DX7s display the proper sample rate coming from my PC via USB. The only place I see to adjust or select sample rate on Windows 10 is under properties of the DX7s. Obviously it gives me plenty of options (16bit/44kHz to 32bit/192kHz) but I don't see any way to output the actual sample rate. Any answers or link to previously discussed topic would be much appreciated.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 10
If you are running through Windows audio mixer (which it sounds like you are) then Windows will sample it to whatever setting you choose. It won't send it straight through. You'd have to bypass Windows audio mixer to get the actual sample rate. Depending on the software you are using you may be able to do this without any extra work. For example, in Audirvana and Roon you can send directly to the DAC. However, if you use something like the Deezer or Amazon application it will automatically send to Windows. The only way to bypass would be to use something like Voicemeeter (Google it). Using that you could bypass Windows.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you! I had not heard/read that you simply can't going through Windows Audio Mixer.

I am using Sooloos, Foobar and iTunes. I don't think I can in Sooloos and almost certainly can't on iTunes. Seems like Foobar should be able to do that? I can't seem to find it if it's there. I did go to preferences/output on Foobar and aimed it at my DAC, but Dac still shows 192kHz (song playing is 48kHz and Windows setting is still at 192kHz)

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you! I had not heard/read that you simply can't going through Windows Audio Mixer.

I am using Sooloos, Foobar and iTunes. I don't think I can in Sooloos and almost certainly can't on iTunes. Seems like Foobar should be able to do that? I can't seem to find it if it's there. I did go to preferences/output on Foobar and aimed it at my DAC, but Dac still shows 192kHz (song playing is 48kHz and Windows setting is still at 192kHz)

Did you choose WASAPI in Foobar? If you did, then you are bypassing Windows audio mixer. However, Foobar might set the sample rate in the program - not sure about that. If Foobar is setting the bit depth then you will be in essence skipping Windows but get locked in by Foobar. I'm sure there are some Foobar experts here - I'm definitely not one....

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 10
I just downloaded Voicemeeter and started playing with it. I'm not seeing how it can output the native sample rate either. From what I see, you still have to go to the Voicemeeter device properties within windows and also tell it what sample rate to output? I'm sure I'm missing something but I even resorted to reading the Voicemeeter manual, which is unusual for me.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 10
I thought it would pass it through but I don't really remember....It definitely bypasses Windows (I remember that!). You may want to reach out to the developer. He usually responds pretty quickly. Let me know what you find out.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 10
I think the developer said this:

Voicemeeter is made to improve audio quality, first by using audio output device in exclusive mode (WASAPI = WDM) to bypass Windows Mixer, secondly by possibly adding EQ, Compression, Gate effects if the user need... This is true while all the audio chain works in the same samplerate, otherwise Voicemeeter will activate SRC (Sample Rate Converter) that can bring some additional distortion effect (that audiophiles could hear with a good headphone or P.A. System :). For a bit perfect guaranteed playback management under Windows, we recommend to use HIFI-Cable and ASIO Bridge (www.vb-cable.com).

Maybe try Hifi-Cable and ASIO Bridge? Let me know if you try it. I'm using Voicemeeter and letting it convert everything to 24 bit 44khz.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 10
I think I have it straightened out. I at least have Foobar outputting actual sample rate to my Topping DAC.

Thank you guys...you're great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back