How to sell my cd collection
Mar 9, 2007 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
I have a modest cd collection (just under 100 albums), most of which I bought over the past two or so years. I will be going off to college in September, and I need to sell some stuff to have some more money in the bank when that time comes.

I have known for a long time that I have pretty bad hearing, but I only recently accepted the fact that head-fi was a waste of my time: I can't abx 128 kbps mp3s or m4as against lossless, i can't tell the difference between my k240s with or without an amp (xin supermini-III), though the difference is VERY audible with my im716s. i heard no difference when, switching from foobar to itunes in preparation for my switch to max os x when leopard comes out, i had to start using the normal (not the high quality) output on my av710 soundcard and, again, heard no difference (i can't usually tell the difference between the card and onboard sound, either).

so i'm going to sell my cds and try to get back some of the at least $1000 i must have spent on them (the thought of that much money sitting in cd form in my room is shocking to me). i'll be my future macbook (maybe pro) and ipod to listen to music, so i won't really need these cds (no dedicated source for me).

i've been looking at the amazon marketplace and ebay for selling the cds (individually), and I could of course post them in the for sale forum here, but what are some other ways of selling the cds? I'll get a paypal account when I turn 18 in a few months, but, after that, what's the best place for selling the disks?

Thanks in advance,
binkgle

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 19
Sale forums please! I'd love to buy some second hand CDs
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 19
1. you won't get much at all

2. if i'm understanding things you've made copies (mp3's on your pc) and you're selling your cd's themselves? not only is this illegal and pretty unethical, whatever you think about your hearing, i find it sacrelige to only keep low bitrate copies of your lovely large collection, even though you've OBVIOUSLY done lots of good legwork rationalizing the ineptness of your hearing ability
smily_headphones1.gif
so............if you're going to sell them, delete your copies; but since that's ridiculous, don't sell them

and seroiusly, i'll say it again, there are better ways to get a little cash. you will get absolute **** for you cd's, like a couple bucks each at best. don't sell em; perhaps if you had double copies on hdd's in flac, and were able to flunk ethics, but this? all audio-lovers should rise up and say NO!
smily_headphones1.gif
good luck

ps: a couple hundred bucks isn't gonna help you do anything in college other than buy more pizza; you can't live off it, so what's the point?

pps: you're buying a bloody macbook, and you're needing to sell your cd's. i'm gonna go off myself now, everytime i talk to teenagers i feel older and older................plus if your hdd crashes you're ****ed. if you really want to buy the farm and sell your collection, at least do a full EAC/accuraterip/flac to a hdd, of course you've then lost the money you made selling the damn cd's so i'm back to telling you not too. but go ahead, enjoy those couple pizza's, i guarantee you when you've blown the cash after a week you'll be pissed at yourself for selling

i'm gonna go have a stroke now

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. you won't get much at all

2. if i'm understanding things you've made copies (mp3's on your pc) and you're selling your cd's themselves? not only is this illegal and pretty unethical,

oh please, at least he bought the cd's in the first place instead of downloading them.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd take them to a local used CD store. Be aware that they don't typically pay a lot per CD (basically a dollar or two, less for odd stuff). You can get more by listing them individually on Amazon or Half.com, but it takes time for everything to sell, and less popular material may not move. Though CDs usually move faster than used books.

If it's any consolation, the onboard sound card in the Macbook is very good. It's slightly on the darker/warmer side of neutral, smooth, not bright or irritating at all. Definitely a source you can be satisfied with.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 19
i for one commend you on at least buying the cd's.
biggrin.gif

but seriously, selling back cd's will get you little in return. you can try selling some of your more popular cd's either here or on amazon, etc. and whatever you have left, just keep them. unless you are desperate for money.... but you buying a macbook tells me you arent

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps if you had double copies on hdd's in flac...if your hdd crashes you're ****ed.

i'm gonna go have a stroke now

Bwahahah. Yes, very well-said. I share your concerns about the digitization of everything. Without hard copies, one can never truly be assured that the data is safe. Even with multiple RAIDs, power outages and massive failures can occur.

Imagine it this way: You place your entire CD collection into a massive multi-CD changer, which then seals itself shut for all eternity. The CDs and the changer are bound together (ex. platters vs. read head on a hard drive). Once the CD player (HD) fails, your CDs are lost forever.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 19
I should make it clear that I'm not buying the macbook (at least not the majority of it); it'll be a combined graduation and birthday present from my parents. I myself don't exactly have boatloads of cash.

Also, even if the cash return on selling the cds isn't too great, any little bit helps. No, I can't live off it, that's why I'll get a job, but it's always good to have a foundation to build from. It's generally disconcerting to see small numbers in my account balance.

I guess here and probably ebay are the way to go (i got a free copy of windows vista business from the power together program that i've no interest in, for instance).

thanks for the input. if you've any other suggestions, they'd still be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back