How to say Happy Birthday in all Languages!
Jan 17, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #31 of 43
The 'Bahasa' thing is correct, but I prefer to have it listed under Indonesia.

Bahasa = language

Speaking of which, mine was yesterday
icon10.gif
... so Pinkie, thanks for bringing up the generic birthday mood =) I remember getting birthday greetings from some internet bot site with all Klingonese etc.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #32 of 43
For some reasons, geocities.com has been blocked by Chinese "Great Firewall" since the begining. Anyway we can still reach it with proxy servers jut fine.

On the second link, I think the Chinese Mandarin one is wrong. It's supposed to be "Zhu ni sheng ri kuai le" or simply "Sheng ri kuai le" instead of "Qu ni sheng er kuai le".

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Dutch is wrong (I think). No capitol letters unless it is the beginning of a sentence or a name.
So not "Hartelijk Gefeliciteerd", but "Hartelijk gefeliciteerd"
I could be wrong cause Dutch spelling is NOT my strong point but it seems awfully weird to me. They do the same in Afrikaans. Wonder about that too...

Yeah, they put a lot of 'em in capital letters that didn't need to be, Tagalog included. I suppose that should be more strictly observed, as in some languages that could matter, no?

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #34 of 43
Finnish is correct.. accept usually people just say "Onneksi olkoon" or you'd get a card that says "Onnea" on it - which are both forms of the same thing, congratulations. Anyway, that's what I usually hear on my bday. Rarely do you get the full "happy birthday," which is in the translation on the site.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Finnish is correct..

Well, not quite. In this sentence "Syntymäpäivää" should not be written with capital 's'.

Regards,

L.

Jan 18, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 43
Portuguese is correct. Latin surely seems to be wrong. My best guesses would be Diem Natalem Felicem Tibi Desidero (or Expeto), or Natalis Gaudentis.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
cantonese is correct.

The labelling is wroong though......"In Taiwan".......

"In Chinese" should be in simplified Chinese
"In Taiwan" should be in traditional Chinese

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Latin surely seems to be wrong. My best guesses would be Diem Natalem Felicem Tibi Desidero (or Expeto), or Natalis Gaudentis.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Are you sure that a more simple version of this cannot be applied? I am definitely no latin scholar, but I know enough to get around, and wouldn't a simple "io" make the term "happy" applicable enough?

It seems that natalus (meaning birthday in subject form) is the correct word gramatically, so I don't think that may be of any question.

However, since you appear to know better than me, what would "io" mean? Because I remember learning that festinavus was always celebrated by the Romans by them shouting "io festinavus!" which translated to "greetings to festinavus" or "happy festinavus".

Thanks in advance for any response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back