How to safely remove flange plugs without causing scratching or bleeding
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mikenmike0001

New Head-Fier
I don't know if it's just me, but I've been having a hard time adjusting to triple flange IEM's, such as those on the er6i.

It seems like these silicon screws, unlike the foams, are difficult to take out without hurting yourself.

Most of the time, I'm okay slowly turning it out and easing the air pressure.

Other times, I don't know what happens, or if I screw them in too deep, but when I slowly try to twist them out, the back part of the 2nd layer flange (middle one) gets caught or stuck in something inside my ear, or I don't know what it is, but causes insane pain when trying to twist it out, and trying to twist it back just hurts more, so I try to ignore it while I can and slowly roll it out, sometimes without leaving a mark, but a pain and swelling inside somewhere that I can't see in the mirror. But other times, when I pull the plug out, I see the rim of the outer flange a little reddish, sometimes with visible blood...not dripping blood, but like as if the inner ear canal skin was cut or torn and it left that mark.

I've gone to a doctor to have them check my ears, and they use the otoscope to look to see that there's nothing wrong, but I think they're just checking on the eardrum to see if that's what's causing the bleeding, which in this case, it's not, it's just somewhere along the caving of the ear canal

It's not a matter of sizing, because the regular size fits just fine in my ear where the outer (3rd layer) flange is hardly visible when facing in front of the mirror in a front view.

Screwing it in is always easy because the shape of the flanges are meant to shape and press against the ear canal, but twisting it out, the back end causes friction against the caving of the canal..

My questions are:

1) How do I prevent this in the future or minimize it?

2) I don't know if it's from the shape of my ear canal (since everyone's is different), but looking at one of the plugs recently, the middle layer is slightly bent up awkwardly, instead of being fully round like a cone, some parts of it are flattened out. Is there a way to reshape this back to normal? Once it gets bent like this, is that sign to throw it away?

3) Could the bleeding or the scratching in general cause you to lose receptor cells along and cause some hearing damage or hearing loss from severe scratching?

4) Is there a way to treat the healing of this? I can't see it from the mirror, so I'm not sure how to deal with this or how many days it tends to take to have it fully healed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back