How to rip to Apple Lossless just the audio of a DVD-A disc?
May 2, 2008 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spunky8

Head-Fier
Hello: I just purchased a great sounding DVD audio disc. When i tried to rip just the audio to my Apple Lossless format, I couldn't figure out hot to do it. I use ITunes. Any advice as to how I can rip the soundtrack so that I can listen to it on my Ipod? Thanks.

May 2, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 15
Good question, I'd like to do the same.

May 2, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 15
Folks, these formats employ DRM for a reason. You are not supposed to rip them. IIRC is also against forum rules to provide information about possible circumvents. There might be ways around it, all of which tend to camp on messy/expensive/not really worth it ground. Do you really want to spend 5GB on a single album? If you do, a high quality analog recording is your best bet.

May 2, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 15
The ppl who I know that have converted SACD's and DVD-A's end up feeding a Line In with the output of the SACD or DVD-A (analog only in the case of SACD), so obviously the end result is heavily dependent on the quality of the DAC and the ADC. Prolly not the best way to do it, but I havent heard of any other way that it can be done.

May 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 15
At least I haven't heard of anyone able to copy an SACD disc. This is mostly because computer DVD drives cannot read SACD discs.

As to DVD-A, do some google search. Apparently people have been able to digitally the DVD-A discs. But, is 4 or 5 GB of space for less one hour's worth of music really worth that much hard drive space?

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently people have been able to digitally the DVD-A discs. But, is 4 or 5 GB of space for less one hour's worth of music really worth that much hard drive space?

I'm doing some old searching and came cross this thread. The answer to your question is yes, it's worth the 4 or 5GB of space. You can get a 1TB drive for $100 these days, so it's not really that big of a deal anymore.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Just from experience, a typical DVD-A album converted to stereo 96/24 and encoded to flac uses about 1GB of storage. Some newer albums have stereo 192/24 and this uses less than 2GB. If you want 5.1 at 192/24 then 5GB may be about right.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 15
at 1GB, that's not much more than a full uncompressed CD anyway.

...glad to see someone else from Indiana!

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by schalliol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at 1GB, that's not much more than a full uncompressed CD anyway.

Apples and Oranges comparison. 79 minutes of uncompressed 16/44.1 PCM is about 836MB , uncompressed 24/96 is ~ 576KB per second so the same 836MB would give you just over 24 minutes
wink.gif

If you FLAC one and not the other you are making a spurious comparison.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe I was clear to what I was comparing, and it's not necessary to suggest I was trying to deceive anyone with my comparison. Noting that you simply didn't believe it was a good comparison certainly makes sense if you feel that way. Many people have stored uncompressed CDs at one point, and I was simply suggesting that these higher res files in FLAC are not enormously larger than those files were. I would find it humorous if people are worried about hard drive space who have relatively high-end equipment here, given the low cost of today's high-capacity drives.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ppl who I know that have converted SACD's and DVD-A's end up feeding a Line In with the output of the SACD or DVD-A

if you can play it on your machine, you can record it (i.e. with wiretap or other software) but it won't be at the SACD/DVD-A quality... sadly.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, I suppose if you theoretically had perfect connections you could make great recordings that would be better than CD, but a digital conversion seems to be the only way to get something very close to the quality of the original. Perhaps the digital conversion by the free software mentioned earlier makes this possible.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apples and Oranges comparison. 79 minutes of uncompressed 16/44.1 PCM is about 836MB , uncompressed 24/96 is ~ 576KB per second so the same 836MB would give you just over 24 minutes
wink.gif

Nick I like your input here but I don't give a care about a gigabyte of storage for music I love. (My Rival - Steely Dan)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back