How to rip a DVD and which format?
Jan 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

punk_guy182

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm a TA for a professor giving a psychology class and I need tome help.
How could I rip a DVD in a single file and cut some scenes out of the big movie file and store them in individual files?
What is the best format to have subtitles included in the movie.
I will use MPC with the CCCP codec pack to play the files.
The professor for whom I work for want to play some scences of different movies to be able to show some criterias of various personality disorders.

I,m looking for a free downloadable program.

Thanks

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 12
if your on Mac use handbrake!.... soooooo simple! Hope it helps, and DVD Decrypter is outdated, you need to use something else, new sony/universal discs sometimes dont decrypt

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Mac the Ripper (pay version) and MPEG Streamclip can handle anything you throw at it on a Mac

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 12
I would recommend either DVD shrink or handbrake as far as free programs go. By far the best paid program I have used for burning dvds on a mac is Roxio Toast, it couldn't possibly be easier to use. It works with so many different file formats, and you just drag them in, it will convert them for you, then just select whether you want NTSC or PAL and your finished.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Toast will not rip or copy commercial DVDs.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toast will not rip or copy commercial DVDs.

This is not entirely true, I have used it several times, and it has worked. Although there also has been a few cases where it hasn't. It probably isn't the best choice if you are looking to copy commercial dvds though, for everything else it's great.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 12
I use dvd decrypter and then convert that to H.264 with Handbrake if I want it smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back