How to rid a new mic of the machine/component smell?
Jul 6, 2015 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cyris69

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I wasn't sure where to post this as well as this is the only audio related forum/site I really browse and have signed up for.

I recently started having issues with my older Yeti microphone with it freezing up etc. I use it mainly as a teamspeak or voip microphone. Since it can pretty much pick up what the neighbors are doing across the street even in front cardioid mode I took this opportunity to get a new mic and maybe do some vocals. (The yeti was my first intro mic besides gaming headsets) 

I ended up getting an Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB, its a USB/XLR mic. I use it powered and over USB. It has been a wonderful new mic and being dynamic cardioid it only picks up whats a few inches away which is very welcomed. 

However, I have it on a mic desk mounted adjustable arm thingy and it keep the mic where I want it but the fumes this mic gives off makes my eyes water and is quite unpleasant to have near my face. I've had it for the majority of the day and as someone who spends the better part of the day on the computer and with a mic nearby it's been very off putting. Is this something that is normal with microphones and that will dissipate fairly quickly? It almost smells like a tire fire and irritates my eyes almost as much. It's completely function from all my tests and isn't quite the tell tell smell of fried electronics. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 5
bump

So the smell hasnt dissipated much so far the second day of using the mic. Not sure if there is a way to air it out better or maybe the metal mesh needs cleaned or something.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Yah a tire fire is not the best thing to be smelling from electronics. I would look around the mic and see if you could easily open it with a screwdriver. Is so i would open it up and look inside. If you dont see anything obviously out of place you could blow on it. Theres a chance that there is some dust in there but i doubt it because it sounds like the mic is new.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I guess you can just unscrew the metal head lol. There seems to be a foam insert and the head does smell like a tire fire. Can I just toss the head piece in the dish washer...?

Seems like most the smell is on the metal mesh and foam insert, there are no lubricants or greases that I can see or feel on the insides.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 5
The disher? Seems a bit agressive but i could be wrong. I would just get a paper towel with a little dysinfectant spray and use that. Use a a pen to push it into the head and move it arround. Just make sure you dry it really well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back