how to review headphones?
Mar 1, 2012 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kurd

Head-Fier
So I've read a lot of reviews on this site, but I'm wondering how do you actually review the headphones. 
I'm mostly interested in the impression of the sound quality. How can you judge how the low mid and high tones are? 
Sorry if this question is stupid, but I'd like to review my headphones too :p but before I do that, I wanna know how to determine whether the sound quality is good or not. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I review earphones and headphones for http://the-gadgeteer.com. I can only tell you how I do it. I use them almost exclusively for 1-2 months (including burn-in if necessary) and write my impressions. I also list the specs, although that's the least important part of the review. I listen to different kinds of music because certain headphones sound better with certain genres of music.

I try to mention specific songs, if only because I used to review music for the local newspaper and I enjoy talking about music I am passionate about. 

I stay away from charts and graphs because that's not The Gadgeteer's audience and there are many sites that do that kind of review so well. I do use different setups: straight from an iPod, using an external DAC, outdoors (when possible). Mix it up to get a good test.

As far as whether they sound good or not: Trust your ears. If it sounds good to you, say it and stand by that. People will differ in their opinions. Also, the more you listen, the more discerning you will become. Only time and experience helps there. 

Bottom line is try to write what you know in a friendly, conversational tone and don't lose sight of the enjoyment of listening to music. That's what it's all about. Hope this helps.

Bill Henderson

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I just post a picture of the headphones and write "They don't suck" after it. Unless they suck. Then there's just a lot of profanity. Oh what, that wasn't what you were asking?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I review earphones and headphones for http://the-gadgeteer.com. I can only tell you how I do it. I use them almost exclusively for 1-2 months (including burn-in if necessary) and write my impressions. I also list the specs, although that's the least important part of the review. I listen to different kinds of music because certain headphones sound better with certain genres of music.

I try to mention specific songs, if only because I used to review music for the local newspaper and I enjoy talking about music I am passionate about. 

I stay away from charts and graphs because that's not The Gadgeteer's audience and there are many sites that do that kind of review so well. I do use different setups: straight from an iPod, using an external DAC, outdoors (when possible). Mix it up to get a good test.

As far as whether they sound good or not: Trust your ears. If it sounds good to you, say it and stand by that. People will differ in their opinions. Also, the more you listen, the more discerning you will become. Only time and experience helps there. 

Bottom line is try to write what you know in a friendly, conversational tone and don't lose sight of the enjoyment of listening to music. That's what it's all about. Hope this helps.

Bill Henderson

thanks a lot for the tips! :)

Quote:

You can read this glossary and look for these charateristics in the headphone, and use different music at different volumes.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary

thanks for the site :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back