How to replace unpolarized power cable by polarized one?
Jan 17, 2003 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pcyeh

New Head-Fier
I finished replacing the caps in my Fisher 500c by Blackgates and Auricaps. After buring in for two weeks, the sound is very good
tongue.gif
. However, I still want to further improve the sound by replacing the 40 years old unpolarized power cable. I want to replace it by a three-way polarized power cable (I don't know if I call it right
tongue.gif
), but I don't know which pin should be connected to which part of the 500c. I read some post on the forum saying that the ground pin should be connected to the chassis ground. But my friend told me that this could cause a disaster once there is a huge power surge such that the ground has a negative voltage of very large amplitude. I don't know if his theory make sense or not
confused.gif
. Could anyone give me some direction about how to install a three-way polarized power cable on the vintage machine like 500c? Thank you very much!!:

Jan 18, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 3
If the unit isn't designed to be grounded that way, DON'T do it. Just replace the existing two-conductor power cord with a higher-quality two-conductor cord like Belden 83802.

- Wasif

Jan 18, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 3
If you want the option to try different power cables by installing an IEC plug what you can do is just take the hot and common wires and hook them up to where the old power cord went in and just leave the ground unconnected. It would be just like a 2-conductor cord, but you'd be able to change/upgrade it if you so desired.

Do not connect the ground to the chassis ground, as there could be several volts difference between the two! This could trip a circuit breaker or blow a fuse at best, or it could cause a fire at worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back