How to replace Sony V6 cord?
Jun 12, 2003 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

indybrett

New Head-Fier
I'm wanting to replace the cord on my V6 headphones with a straight cord.

Soldering is not a problem for me, but I'm not sure how to open the earpiece. Has anybody done this before?

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 7
gently tug on the pads in a direction lateral to the face of the pad/driver. you should be able to see the edge of the pad appear. keep tugging in one side to remove one spot and remove the circular tension on the pad. continue around the pad to remove entirely.

four phillips screws hold the driver mounting face in the can. remove these and pull apart. mark existing solder joints so as to not confuse them with each other (actually, they're already marked).

heat up the wires with your iron and remove the old wire conncetions. undo the knot in the wire and slid off the rubber stopper that holds the wire in place. pull out the cord.

reverse above procedure.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by indybrett
I'm wanting to replace the cord on my V6 headphones with a straight cord.

Soldering is not a problem for me, but I'm not sure how to open the earpiece. Has anybody done this before?

Sony will do it for you, with any cord you want.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
gently tug on the pads in a direction lateral to the face of the pad/driver. you should be able to see the edge of the pad appear. keep tugging in one side to remove one spot and remove the circular tension on the pad. continue around the pad to remove entirely.

four phillips screws hold the driver mounting face in the can. remove these and pull apart. mark existing solder joints so as to not confuse them with each other (actually, they're already marked).

heat up the wires with your iron and remove the old wire conncetions. undo the knot in the wire and slid off the rubber stopper that holds the wire in place. pull out the cord.

reverse above procedure.

Say, Scott, how does that MDR-V77 sound? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Sony will do it for you, with any cord you want.

They will? How would I go about that, or who would I contact? Would they need it for 6 months?

Sorry if this has been discussed on the board already.

I'll probably just do it myself, but if there were someone local in Indianapolis that would do it for me, I might consider it.

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by indybrett
They will? How would I go about that, or who would I contact? Would they need it for 6 months?

Sorry if this has been discussed on the board already.

I'll probably just do it myself, but if there were someone local in Indianapolis that would do it for me, I might consider it.

Go to the Sony site, and look for repair facilities. Then follow the instructions.

http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.inquiry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back