How to repair a busted jack on IEMs?
May 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

navmau

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of old Future Sonics IEMs which I was using at the gym. The drivers are perfect but the jack is faulty and the IEMs no longer work.

Is there a cheap and easy way to replace the jack in a DIY project for someone like me who is not very good with this sort of stuff?

May 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 8
By "jack" do you mean plug? 
smile.gif

May 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 8
May 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm sure there are quite a few.  I'd do a search (probably through Google as our own search is, um, quirky) for "recabling tutorial" or something like that.  Re-termination is a very common part of recabling. 
smile.gif

May 10, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Thanks, i'll give it a go.

Do you know if there are any threads about this on head-fi? Like a tutorial or something?

Do you know how to solder and do you have a soldering iron ?
Replacing the cable is very basic, you have 3 wires, R, L and ground, usually Red is Right, White is left and black is neutral or ground. If your cable is a bit to long, now would be the time to shorten it. I am going to go on the notion you are a novice at soldering. Most solder has built in flux, flux is a corrosive mix of chemicals, either water or alcohol based (for clean up ), it does a light etching or cleaning of the surface to be soldered, it allows the solder to adhere to the metal. You can also get a paste or liquid flux, if needed. once you strip back the plastic cover on the wire, expose maybe 1/4 inch or a centimeter of wire. flux the wire if you have it, get a small bit of solder on the end of you iron and touch it to the wire, don't linger long, a few seconds is all that's needed, it should flow very quickly and give a nice shiny smooth surface. Tinning the wires will make attaching them to the connector much easier. You will want some shrink tubing, to slip over the cable before you do any soldering to the connector, it will help you dress the cable, hide your handy work and add stress relief. Take the housing off the connector and slip it over the wire, after the shrink tubing, the tubing will slip over the end of the connector and down the wire an inch or 2. Once you have the tubing and housing over the cable, do your soldering, most plugs will have a small hole in each tab or lead you will solder to, you can bend a small hook in the tinned wire and secure it before soldering, just heat it a few seconds, add solder to make a nice joint and let it cool a few seconds before the next joint. You can use shrink tubing on each individual wire if there is a close fit and concerns of shorting. Once all 3 wires are connected and before you secure the housing and tubing, test the head set to make sure everything is working properly before you heat the shrink tube and finish the project. You can always do a little practice soldering on wires or old circuit boards out of just about any junked electronics board. Good luck. If any of this wasn't clear, feel free to ask additional questions, Ill review this tread later.

Cheers

May 10, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back