How to remove the EU volume cap from 6.5G iPod Classic?
Oct 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

steinba

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a 120GB iPod Classic, and have heard rumors about downloadable software to get rid of the volume cap on European iPods. Does anybodyknow where that can be found? ...Or simply how to get rid of the volume limiter?

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 20
you can't. there is a prog for mac that increases the gain on the whole library but you can do this in itunes anyway - pointless though, as the actual audio output is capped. this just moves max further down the volume slider & will sound the same beyond this point.

only thing is to have sealed phones.

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 20
The volume with my portable IEMs and cans are OK. It's just annoying to know that the iPod should really have more punch. With my HD650s, it's another story, though, but that's not something I'll use unamped from a DAP anyway.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 20
Given GoPod a try?
The iPod Classic is not listed as a supported player, which makes sense since it has not been updated the last two years or so. But it still may work..

goPod

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KromaXamorK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waste time, not working.^^

Great to know! Too bad though, as it works wonders with my iPod nano...

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 20
Yes, my ipod Classic has way weaker headphone output than tiny nano 1g, are you sure that it's can't be fixed with firmware? It''s unlikely that apple changed something on hardware level to sale in EU...

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It''s unlikely that apple changed something on hardware level to sale in EU...

It's firmware based, Apple has limits on the volume in certain geographic regions. It's a requirement in the EU & some countries.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 20
I roughly remember that with the 4G iPod you had to delete a file (or edit it) in a hidden directory on the iPods harddisk to disable the volume cap. I peeked around in that directory long time ago, but since my iPod is from the US, it isn't capped.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, it's hardware limitation?

No, it's software based. It's just that the updates are region specific, so a US update won't be allowed on a EU version of the iPod (and vice-versa). Kinda' sux to be locked in.
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back