How to remove glue? (from your iPod connector)
Jan 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SawaFish

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I recently tried to make a iPod line out after I'd seen all the marvelous creations here on Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
. Unfortunately some glue stayed in the male connector of the cable and came in the female connector of my iPod. Since the glue has hardened on the pins in the connector it won't work anymore
mad.gif
It's very strong industrial glue and it's made from 'acrylaat'. I read that 'aceton' should do the job so I'm gonna try to dissolve the glue with some nailpolishremover which contains aceton. Is that a smart thing to do? And are there any other ways to dissolve glue?
confused.gif

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acetone will melt the plastic of the line out connector.

Oh, well at least the glue is gone
rolleyes.gif

Seems I got to find another way to dissolve the glue.

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrap a toothpick in some thin cloth, hold the ipod with the opening at the bottom and be careful and patient!

I'll first try some nailpolishremover on the connector cable to see if it works, if it doesn't then it'll only ruin the cable and not the iPod. And if it doesn't work I'm certainly going to try your method! Thanks for the advice.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Some cheap nailpolishremover and an old toothbrush did the job!! The glue dissolved and I was able to get it out of my iPod or to push it away from the pins; everything works fine again!!!
biggrin.gif
Only the plastic from the clickwheel is affected a little by the aceton. But since it'll be in a cover nobody will notice
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the advices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back