How to remove glue behind buttons on Grados?
May 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Hey all, I just removed a button from my SR225 and I think it looks excellent, but there is glue on the underside of it, and it looks like the glue is applied from behind the grille. Is there any way to remove it? Thanks.

EDIT: Preferably, some method that doesn't involve removing the cups, and very preferably nothing involving water.

EDIT2: I tried using a blow drier to melt the glue, but it didn't work. Also, how would the cups get reattached with the glue melted?

May 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 19
Seriously, 27 views and no one has any input? By the way, I pushed the glue through the grilles using a toothpick. How bad is this for the headphone? I'm going to try to remove the cups.

May 6, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 19
I honestly have no idea why I decided to view this thread....
atsmile.gif

I think you'll have to open them up, but I'm certainly no expert.
tongue_smile.gif

May 6, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 19
I know you said you don't want to open the cups, but it would be a lot easier that way... But it already sounds like you're going to do it.

May 6, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 19
^Yup, I think I will have to open them since the glue is trapped on the inside. I am hesitant, though, especially since the new i model is probably a bit different. I think it was Headwize or maybe another forum post that said that Grados now use superglue for the cups.

May 6, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 19
I saw a thread yesterday. Some guy recabled his SR225i's. He successfully opened the cup using the blow dryer method. I think it was in the DIY Discussion section if you want to ask him or read what he wrote.

May 6, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 19
That was me, they are incredibly easy to open. The cups are held together by glue from a hot glue gun. This stuff becomes soft when exposed to heat.

Here's a link to my recable http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/rec...ctures-422624/

The easiest way to remove the glue is 1) submerge them in hot water for 1 minute or 2) use the hairdryer and point it at the glue and heat it up for about 30 seconds. Once thoroughly heated, you can scrape the glue off with your nails. A credit card/ID works best.

I have recabled 8+ Grado's and it is far easier than you would think it would be to take them apart. Trust me when I say don't sweat it.

May 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Sounds like you already applied heat on the cups aiming at the drivers. Stop doing that as you'll kill the drivers with enough heat. Seriously your best bet is to remove the cups.

May 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 19
I used the spoon method to open my SR125's (wedged a spoon handle that tapers outward between the two halves of the cups, slide the spoon gently along the opening between the two halves with the spoon tapering outward to force the two halves apart) once they were open, I used a thin crochet needle to work the buttons off from the inside of the cup.

After that it was just a matter of picking away at the glue.

May 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 19
LOL iriver dude that's what I looked like. I am planning on using the spoon. Apatn, I blew the hairdryer around the outside (not aimed at the drivers). How do I reseal the cups after I take them apart? Can I just snap them back together, or should I use an adhesive?

EDIT: At this point, the only thing stopping me is not knowing how the cups will stay together after I put them back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back