how to remove dc offset or measure the dc offset from a computer soundcard, in non technical terms?
Oct 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bob111

New Head-Fier
I've been trying to figure out if my source, a toshiba satellite laptop with a realtek hd audio soundcard has a dc offset, but I can't find any information that doesnt require a complex knowledge of circuitry, the ability to take the soundcard apart, or using some electrical tools that I dont have.  So far ive connected to the output to the microphone jack, played a song and analyzed the offset in wavelab, and at low volumes it was -.004% on each side and something like -.400% at max volume, what do these numbers even mean? 

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 2
That could be anything.

All you need to measure voltage offset is a volt-meter, and an un-soldered connector. You can buy a multimeter (measures several electrical things {voltage, current, resistance, and occasionally others} in 1 handy unit) from radio shack or sears hardware for like $15. Even non-DIY types should have a multimeter. 

"are these really 600ohm beyers"? bust out the multimeter, and know in like 2 seconds. 
"does this device have voltage offset"? eliminate any doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back