How to: Refit Velour Pads to DT-531's!
Oct 21, 2005 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I had a bit of a nightmare yesterday with my DT-531's:

While listening to Massive Attack's "Protection" album, the bass-heavy tunes were causing some fairly serious vibration sounds inside the right driver on these cans which was really annoying, so, I took the velour pad off and then removed the foam from the can to expose the capsule.

There is a kind of dust shield over the actual driver which had split and was flapping about to the bass line, so I removed this and the vibrations obviously stopped.

However, I couldn't get either the foam to sit right (it was protruding out and touching my ear) plus I couldn't get the velour pad to fit the same as it was (ie with the rubber seal in between the two pieces of plastic).

This was very annoying (since my E3C's broke last night too!!) as I had to bring out my emergency HD-25sp's so I could at least try out my new amp!

Anyway, today I managed to sort out an RMA number for my Shuires, so I thought while I was on a roll, I'd email Beyer in the UK and ask them whether I could send them my DT-531's for them to put them back together properly.

THIS IS THE REPLY I GOT (within 45 minutes, after 5pm on a Friday too!!!):

Quote:

The paper cover is to protect the membrane. We don't have a spare part for this as it comes supplied with the driver itself. Your headphone should operate fine without this.

To re-install the foam infill and earpad correctly first you must remove the plastic retaining ring. To do this you will need a large flat bladed palette knife or a paint scraper. Insert the blade between the earshell and the retaining ring and twist or lever the blade. The retaining ring should pop off. Don't use a screw driver as this exerts too much pressure on one point of the earshell and will crack it.

The earpad can now be slipped over the retaining ring (if you warm the earpad up on a radiator it will soften the vinyl band and make it easier to fit).

Place the foam infill over the headphone driver, ensure that the driver is correctly seated and press the retaining ring back into the earshell. This will require a bit of pressure to do but should go back in with a loud click.

My thanks go out to Tim from Beyerdynamic UK technical support for the very prompt and complete response which resolved my problem!

I just thought I'd share this with everyone, in case you didn't realise how to take these cans apart.

biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Awesome. Thumbs up to you MrJoshua for sharing the knowledge!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back