How To Reduce White Noise From Wireless Headphones???
Mar 20, 2004 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dealmaker

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I got a JVC HA-W300RF wireless headphones. So far I only use it in my room for my TV. The quality is quite good. The only problem is that the is constant low white noise in the backguard. I tried all the tuning and putting the base in different locations, but it is still the same. Is there a way to reduce or even eliminate the constant low white noise in the background?

Thanks for help. Have a nice day.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 13
Are you sure it is the base? It is highly likely that the majority of the noise be from the TV, either a poor cable or antenna signal or just EMI, lousy audio section, wtc.

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Are you sure it is the base? It is highly likely that the majority of the noise be from the TV, either a poor cable or antenna signal or just EMI, lousy audio section, wtc.

I plugged the wireless headphone to my laptop that doesn't produce any white noise (I tested with a corded headphone), I got the same result and it produced white noise. And I tested the audio cable (going from the base to the TV) with my laptop to my stero, it doesn't produce white noise. The testings were done in the same room.

So the problem is from either the base or the headphone themselves.

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dealmaker
Is there a way to reduce or even eliminate the constant low white noise in the background?

That's easy, throw it in the trash
wink.gif

No, seriously, you just discovered why almost no head-fier seriously considers wireless headphones.
I don't know of any method to eliminate this, except maybe buy an AKG Hearo 999 system.
Sorry if this wasn't helpful at all.

-Taurui

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dealmaker
Hi,
I got a JVC HA-W300RF wireless headphones. So far I only use it in my room for my TV. The quality is quite good. The only problem is that the is constant low white noise in the backguard. I tried all the tuning and putting the base in different locations, but it is still the same. Is there a way to reduce or even eliminate the constant low white noise in the background?

Thanks for help. Have a nice day.

put a cord on it...lol

no really how far are you from the tv?

Mar 20, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 13
is it a 2.6GHz unit? If it is a 900 MHz unit you are almost bound to get hiss.

Don't throw it away - just use it for TV gaming.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 13
I got this 900mhz unit for free. I knew that all wireless headphones are problematic before I got this unit. But I just want to find a way to improve the constant low white background noise. I just use it for my tv, not for music.

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 13
I've had similar problems with all the RF phones I've used to date. It's really not a big deal with some systems, but with others it is a problem. The hiss is definitely a problem with ANY RF phone if you consciously listen out for it. Ultimately it's a matter of whether you're prepared to put up with that for the increase convenience or not.

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 13
I have a pair of Panasonic RP-RF910 and they have an undocumented dynamic hiss reduction feature. At roughly half volume the hiss is at a minimum and is barely audible. They have decent base but the top end of the treble is sloped out, probably in an attempt to further reduce his. However i find the sound quality is more or less acceptable and although i would not consider these a replacement for chorded phones, I end up wearing them more than any other pair I own because of their sheer convenience

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 13
wow.. 9 replies and not a single one answering his question.

if your wireless headphone is a RF based one - stay away from:

flourescent lights, fridges, class-D amps if you have any (some guitar amps, subwoofer amps, pure digital amps), microwaves, RF-based cordless phones and basically anything that is electrically more complicated than a toaster oven.

if your wireless headphone is a IR based one - stay away from:

direct strong sunlight (ymmv), sun-lamps, excessive use of remote controls.

naturally, you might also want to stay away from unshielded speakers too.

alternatively to solve your problem entirely you might want to look into upgrading to high-bandwidth digital-based wireless setups.

good luck.

Mar 21, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
wow.. 9 replies and not a single one answering his question.

if your wireless headphone is a RF based one - stay away from:

flourescent lights, fridges, class-D amps if you have any (some guitar amps, subwoofer amps, pure digital amps), microwaves, RF-based cordless phones and basically anything that is electrically more complicated than a toaster oven.

if your wireless headphone is a IR based one - stay away from:

direct strong sunlight (ymmv), sun-lamps, excessive use of remote controls.

naturally, you might also want to stay away from unshielded speakers too.

alternatively to solve your problem entirely you might want to look into upgrading to high-bandwidth digital-based wireless setups.

good luck.

Great, it means that I need to plug my wireless 900mhz headphones to my toaster oven.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 13
Actually, because of the high current a toaster oven uses (upwards of 10-15amps) I would venture to guess that even it would cause a fair amount of EMI.

For that matter, can you change the "channel" on the headphones and see if you get better reception?

Maybe if you take the phones apart, you will find a calibration pot as well to do just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back