How to record in stereo with 1212M?
Jun 10, 2006 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
How do I do this?

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 20
well if it's like my EMU 0404, it has two mono unbalanced 1/4" TS inputs. Let's say you are using something like my DMP3 preamp, which runs a single 1/4" TRS balanced out. Well, the signal is mono anyhow, so either you can just run it to one input channel and pan it over so the mono signal covers both channels, or you can do it on the hardware side and have a cable that splits out to dual mono 1/4 plugs (that's what i do). my DMP3 has two channels, so i can run two mics and then have one mic for each channel - voila, stereo!

a far easier alternative is just to run a line in signal from your preamp, or phono stage, or ipod, and run a dual 1/4 mono into your soundcard, and you're done!

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
a far easier alternative is just to run a line in signal from your preamp, or phono stage, or ipod, and run a dual 1/4 mono into your soundcard, and you're done!

That is exactly what I'm doing. My question pertains how to how to set up Patchmix for recording two channels at once. So far I can only insert one 'send to wave' and can either choose to put it directly on either the left or right strip, or onto the main section which I presume mixes the two together. I am trying to use Audacity to record from my turntable > integrated amp > record out.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Not quite done, as you still have to check the panning in Patchmix. In Patchmix, the input that is supposed to be the left channel needs to be panned all the way to the left, and the input that is supposed to be the right channel needs to be panned all the way to the right. It's a pretty simple thing to do, but I believe there is a default stereo recording session available on the Emu website, for those who don't like messing with settings in Patchmix sessions.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
That is exactly what I'm doing. My question pertains how to how to set up Patchmix for recording two channels at once. So far I can only insert one 'send to wave' and can either choose to put it directly on either the left or right strip, or onto the main section which I presume mixes the two together. I am trying to use Audacity to record from my turntable > integrated amp > record out.

In the default stereo recording session for the Emu 0404, they have 'send to wave' on AUX 1. The send fader is set at 0. The return fader is all the way to the left (-132). Then on the left and right input strips, AUX 1 is set to 0.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005

You mix in the two panels into Aux1 or Aux2 panning to the left and right as Rempert says. From there you can send wherever you want.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 20
so it should look this?

clip1.jpg

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 20
using the above setup, it appears I am still getting only left channel input in Audacity.

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Hmmm. works fine in Sound Forge. Don't know what's up with Audacity. Thanks guys.

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 20
dbl post

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 20
oops forgot to post the patchmix part. thanks for covering my butt on that one!

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 20
I am listening to my recordings now on another system and I think it's worked out great. I bought a silver interconnect to attach the tube amp to the 1212M, and it made a big difference in the quality. I am using Sound Forge and adding a 6db volume boost because the output from my amp is slightly low. Thanks for all the help.

Jun 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Actually the 1212m has two balanced TRS inputs (so it is effectively 4 channels). I think if you run stereo into one input you can use just one strip in patchmix.

Patchmix can be confusing, it's not all that intuitive, and don't get me started on ASIO recording. Sounds great though, expecially in 24/96 or 192.

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 20
I just set up my 1212m for recording stereo the other day and had a hell of a time too. I finally got it to work in cakewalk sonar 4 using a couple of sends. Cubase on the other hand would only give me the left channel, nothing in the right even though they were both set up the same way. Both sonar and cubase come with the 1212m, so you might want to give them a try.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
Actually the 1212m has two balanced TRS inputs (so it is effectively 4 channels). I think if you run stereo into one input you can use just one strip in patchmix.

Patchmix can be confusing, it's not all that intuitive, and don't get me started on ASIO recording. Sounds great though, expecially in 24/96 or 192.

Er, surely not. Doesn't the balanced input record the difference between the positive and negative inputs? (The ground would be there then just... as a ground.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back