How to recognize pure WAV vs. MP3 converted to WAV ?
Mar 18, 2005 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ref

100+ Head-Fier
How to recognize pure WAV vs. MP3 converted to WAV ?
I mean i wanna know if the WAV is original or if it was compressed to MP3 / other format before.
Other than my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 6
The general method to tell is to do a frequency spectrum analysis with something like EAC or one of the better programs like Cool Edit. If it's chopped off at around 15K or less then it's probably lossy encoded. Many "real" CDs have content out to 20K or more. There's also a freeware program that claims to do that for you with pretty good results, but I haven't tried it yet. Give it a try and let us know
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.true-audio.com/

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 6
So if something like this happens through most of the song it has probably been compressed ?
confused.gif

I think so, but i just wanna be sure.
It shouldn't be like this right?

EDIT: my 320 kbps MP3 (i have only few) are not cut at 15k, but at 19k...

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Yup, something like that. It's very clear for low compression rate and getting difficult to notice for above 240kbps.

Btw there are some official 'compilation' CD that are chopped off badly.
mad.gif
Grrr. And even using cassettes you can still see some lively 20khz output, while higher mp3 rate, like you said, are pretty much dead above 19khz.

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Most adult human beings can only hear upto about 17.5 KHz. Babies can hear lower and higher as well. Ever notice how a subwoofer seems to wake up a kid in double quick time.

As for detecting MP3's to WAV unless you have heard the Wav file and know it well, at higher encoding rates it becomes hard to tell.

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Most adult human beings can only hear upto about 17.5 KHz.

Agreed. However, with chopped off response I hear less 'airiness' - perhaps harmonics got lost on compressed files ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back