How to recable my headphones
Aug 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deadpool86

Head-Fier
My cord is far too long, I just got the SennHD595s on a whim. I really need to cut the length by about half. What is the safest way to do this? What materials will I need or cord brands that will fit?

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 4
well, you could always just cut the existing cable to a shorter length and re-terminate it with a stereo plug. You don't really need to recable just to get a shorter cable. "recable" means replacing the cable, so you'd have to desolder the existing cable from the drivers and solder on the new cable. If you're not after the possible sound quality improvements, you might as well save yourself a little money and the possibility of ruining your drivers by just just cutting the existing cord and reterminating it. All you would need is a stereo plug (something like this), wire strippers, and a soldering iron.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Yep. You'll want to cut the cord at a certain point and expose the wires, then use the part with the plug along with a multimeter to figure out what's left/right, should be fairly obvious. To get that colored stuff off the ends of the wire (enamel) you'll want to use either a cigarette torch or a solder point, probably the cigarette torch, then put solder on each lead. Then you can solder whatever plug on. A better option might be to buy an aftermarket cable, unless you know what you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back