How to Pursue a Career in the Audio Industry?
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm at that point in life. I'm not extremely passionate about anything except for audio (and computers but more so audio).

So, how do you do it?

Which classes would be helpful in college and what fields would apply or lead me into that path?

I'm thinking maybe designing, manufacturing, and/or testing products.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey! Haven't talked to ya in awhile.
normal_smile .gif

The "audio industry" is very broad. Best to focus on something specific. I mean, think about any large company that makes headphones. They have a team of people who do all sorts of things. Not all of them do specialized work like engineering. Some are office workers and the like. Even in the categories you listed ("designing, manufacturing, and/or testing products"), there are many paths you could take. I would suggest consulting with advisors at universities in order to get a better idea of your options. Also, network with people who work at headphone (and other audio) companies, or even shops. Find out how they got to where they are now. Getting to know them will broaden your horizons. You should keep future internships in mind regardless of your strategy. That can get your foot in the door at companies that would otherwise not hire you outright.

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi, I am in fact working in an electronics company which has audio department and I can say that a good place to start if you are really into audio would be mechanical engineering (drivers, mechanical design) or electronics engineering (DAC's, amplifier, DAP) 
Apart from that, you could also go into quality assurance where later on, become a sound quality engineer. 
Good luck!

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 4
  Hey! Haven't talked to ya in awhile.
normal_smile .gif

The "audio industry" is very broad. Best to focus on something specific. I mean, think about any large company that makes headphones. They have a team of people who do all sorts of things. Not all of them do specialized work like engineering. Some are office workers and the like. Even in the categories you listed ("designing, manufacturing, and/or testing products"), there are many paths you could take. I would suggest consulting with advisors at universities in order to get a better idea of your options. Also, network with people who work at headphone (and other audio) companies, or even shops. Find out how they got to where they are now. Getting to know them will broaden your horizons. You should keep future internships in mind regardless of your strategy. That can get your foot in the door at companies that would otherwise not hire you outright.

Yo, it has been a while! Yeah, I'm kinda lost so I'm just looking to be pointed to any direction possible.

Thanks for the help!

Hi, I am in fact working in an electronics company which has audio department and I can say that a good place to start if you are really into audio would be mechanical engineering (drivers, mechanical design) or electronics engineering (DAC's, amplifier, DAP) 
Apart from that, you could also go into quality assurance where later on, become a sound quality engineer. 
Good luck!

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back