How to prove Beats Studio Owners wrong !?
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

potatoe94

100+ Head-Fier
I work in an audio shop , 

A snobbish customer comes in claiming he is using Beats Studio and it's the best . 
I told him beats studio is a Low-Mid range headphone and he immediately wanted to prove me wrong . 
I have a whole array of Astell & Kern Players , Fiio Amps , iBasso Amps , Sony HiRes and more at my disposal .
With Almost all headphones from opened to closed , HD800 to AKGs .

I paired a HD650 for him with the A&K 240 & he wasnt impressed .
I paired the HD800 with the A&K 240 with him and he still wasn't impressed . 

Maybe i took out the A&K 240 out on impulse & pair it with the HD800 , 
I have not tried pairing it like that and i was like "oh ****" when i took it out because it may not drive it well . 

So i took the Fiio Mont Blanc E12 to amp the output of the A&K 240 , to drive the HD800 . 
I have never heard of that particular setup myself too ...
And now i feel so useless not being able to impress & prove the customer that Beats is not as good . 

I personally had a Beyer T90 + iCAN Nano , iDSD Nano , iTUBE Micro . and it was simply divine . 
Now on the go , IE800 + iDSD Micro , it was still divine , but not as quite as the previous . 

BUT I NEED SUGGESTIONS FROM MY HEAD-FI BUDDIES !!!
Recommend me a good headphone to pair with the A&K 240 which will blow the socks off Beats Studio owners . 
I wanted to educate them on the wide sound stage and instrumental imaging , layering and positioning .
Preferably with alittle warmth and sub bass as well . Not forgetting good treble where Beats will never come close ! 

Sennheiser , AKG , Ultrasone , Sony , etc .
Open or closed is fine as long as it pairs well with the A&K 240 .
(where DSD & FLAC files have been stored)
My outlet has them !

Hope to hear from you guys soon !
i was really panicking back then as i was about to close my shop for the day . 

Thanks in advance !!! ^^

Ps: well i did managed to convert a Beats Solo user today to buy a Shure SE215 & RHA 750 . hehe ~

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 22
Of all the Beats electronics stuff I tried, the best one was the Beats Executive, which was almost above average overall from being the most calm sounding of all. The biggest criticism I have is that the overall sound signature is WAY TOO V-SHAPED. Really, it is like listening through three or four tiny Peaveys. I tried the latest Beats Studio on its stand and it had played a remix of Ellie Goulding's "Promises". I could not keep them on for ten seconds, as there was way too much sibilance and cloudiness around her mangled vocals (PRAMISSSISSSSS!!) and knew the reason why the company was sold to Apple for as much as they could get out of it.

The V-Moda M100, Ultrasone HFI-780, B&W P7, and many other full-sized portables will beat out anything in the Beats lineup for clarity and bass. If he still doesn't listen, attend to other customers.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 22
  Well If all else fails you can always "fist meet face" :D

HAHAHA ! More like , if i can , AK240 to face . 
Because , convenience . 

The V-Moda M100, Ultrasone HFI-780, B&W P7, and many other full-sized portables will beat out anything in the Beats lineup for clarity and bass. If he still doesn't listen, attend to other customers.

Exactly ! In my mind , i know anything can beat the crap out of it .
Thanks for the few mentioned , seems like i have to give the p7 and Ultrasone mentioned a try for the rare occasions where no costumers are around ! hahaha !

As someone who sells , i should really try out which synergize well with the AK240 . but there are so many to start from ! so thank you once again for the suggestions ! hahaha ! 

You know , deep down in my heart , i nearly wanted to tell him , 
"If you cannot hear the difference , then just stick to your Beats , not everyone can hear it ."

But i have to uphold my quality customer service with a smile . hahaha ! 

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 22
Have them listen to a nice combo for a 30 mins to an hour and then have them listen to their Beats again.

Or

Ask them if you can give them a blind test using two cans they've never heard before...one being his own Beats (gotta switch up the pads though) and the other being like a DT 770.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Not an expert on customer service, but I'd image the question to ask isn't how to prove him wrong but what he likes about the beats, then sell him what he came in for. If he's looking for recommendations, ask him what he likes about the beats that the other phones didn't have, and try to prove yourself wrong about the beats.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 22
Thats actually an appropriate procedure , but we were kind of closing , so i might have overlooked that . Thanks tho ! He recently just bought his beats studio From some other place . He Asked about dac or amps Etc . Perhaps i should first improve on serving the customer right first ! *walks in shame* then , show him we believ is better , and let him decide . Because he walks in with the "boasting" impressions , rather than the "interested" impression . Hahaha so yea . Stress >.<

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 22
As someone who works in Sales and Marketing - if you're not listening to your customers, and only trying to change their minds to your tastes ..... then you're doing it wrong.

Vids post above has the answer.  Find out what he really wants

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 22
actually ... you guys are right ... i should have listened calmly to what he wants . 
Thanks so much guys ! 

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 22
How do i close a thread ? :x

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 22
Don't worry about it - you don't close it - only a mod can do that.  Besides, there may be others who contribute, and could yet turn into an interesting topic.  Otherwise it'll just "fade away".

Let us know if he comes back in, and how you get on with him.

If it was me - I'd be asking him about what he really likes about the Studios, if there is anything he thinks could be better, and also engage him about his music.  Enthusiasts love talking shop, and if you can find a common ground, you can then suggest alternatives.  But you never run down what they own.  Just take the old "have you tried .... " approach, and then listen to his feedback. Gradually you narrow it down to what he really likes - and even if he doesn't buy anything, there is a good chance he'll tell his friends about the store.

End result is good for you and the store - win, win 
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 22
Well, I had a friend who had best pro and studio and he thought he had the best headphone because it was very expensive for him.
Looked like kids buy these junks to show off etc, then I showed my ED8 to his friend and I told him it costed me $1.6k CAD then he didnt say anything but the red face. lol.

Just tell them or show them that beats are actually cheapest junk you can get and there are lot more expensive headphoens like stax, grados, audeze, senns. abyss, etc.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 22
Beats owners or the owners of any equipment are never wrong per say. If Something works for them then there right. It's all subjective. For some the stock Apple buds are the best there ever was or will be.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 22
I think it's a matter of experience and preference.

Some people will prefer the sound of beats cause it just gels right with the music they listen to and how they want to hear it.

Also, haven't you been enamoured with a headphone and thought it was incredible until you heard something that sounded better then all of a sudden your opinion changed after you had that experience? Whatever is the best sounding equipment you had the chance to hear is going to be the best to you until you have a new experience with something better. It's all relative.

I also know that how something looks and how it makes the customer feel has a big affect on how they percieve it in general. They may think something along the lines of, "yeah ok those other headphones may actually sound better, but at least I don't look like a dork in public with my beats, so beats are the best headphones." Haha different people, different priorities.

Another thing is some people weigh things out in terms of other factors. They may also look at the fact that many audiophiles purchase an amp, where as most beats users just go straight out of their device. The amp is another purchase that all in with audiphile headphones might be more expensive than beats. Also, when it comes to portability some people don't want to carry around a stack of devices and mucking around with all of them while on the go. Some people just want to keep it simple. Plug in their phone or ipod and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back