How to properly tag FLAC?
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

barksdale

Head-Fier
I got an album in FLAC and in Foobar the tags look good.  Proper album art, proper artist name, track #, date, genre, etc.

However, when I open it in Windows Explorer none of that information is filled out.  It just has the file name.

So FLAC does not use ID3 tag.

How exactly do you tag it?

When I put these songs on my phone it said 'Unknown Artist.'  The only thing that showed properly was the album art.

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 11
Yes it's all filled out there.  Like I said, in Foobar it's fine.

In Windows Explorer, it only shows the name.

On my phone, it only shows the album art and 'Unknown artist.'

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 11
When u say windows explorer you mean like inside a folder?  Windows explorer does not display tags.  Here's a shot of the same album inside its folder.  When I hover over it, I get the tag info, but not in explorer.

In reference to the phone, I can't advise.  I have an iPhone with apple lossless files and everything displays great even when I embed the album art.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't get any of that info when I hover over.

I get the name, type, size, and date.

For example I open the album folder with all the tracks.

To the right of the name of the track it says "Contributing Artists' , 'Album' , '#', and 'Title' .

What version of Windows are you using?

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
That pops up because he has dBpoweramp installed.

Oops, sorry, yes I have dB that's why it shows the tag info.  Windows explorer does not show tag info, no matter what OS you are using.  If you look at the pic I like the "list" view.  If I change it to details or tiles etc. it will still not show tag info.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
  Windows explorer does not show tag info, no matter what OS you are using.  If you look at the pic I like the "list" view.  If I change it to details or tiles etc. it will still not show tag info.

This is not entirely correct - mine does. There are codec packages that can add .flac tags to the file display. I've done this ages ago and don't even remember which one I've used, but googling for "windows explorer flac codec" should bring some relevant answers.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

This is not entirely correct - mine does. There are codec packages that can add .flac tags to the file display. I've done this ages ago and don't even remember which one I've used, but googling for "windows explorer flac codec" should bring some relevant answers.

Here is thread asking the same thing a few years ago and I guess at the bottom they use dBPoweramp for this.  http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/179199-flac-support-fore-explorer.html

Can you post a screen shot of yours and what program enables you to do this?  I love the hover with dB but more knowledge and options is always good.

Thanks

Here is my 'details' view of same album

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I honestly don't remember how I did it on my machines, but if I was to do it again I'd give this a shot.
Regarding what it looks like - here's a screen shot:

Thanks PS...Think, think how you did it.  The tag population is waiting for your reply...jk...lol

Looking good.  I figured it was an external program because I just checked my XP, Vista and W8 machines and on default I get the same info.  I have dBpoweramp installed on all and I do get the hover info but not the explorer tag info.  Although I have all my folders set to 'list' view it is good info to have.

Cheers!

EDIT: Well, I had one more thing left to try after I posted.  Updating dBpoweramp to 14.4....Voila!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back