How to properly remove/attach Shure Olives?
Mar 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Scythels

New Head-Fier
My SE215's came in the other day, and at first they were wicked uncomfortable.  My previous pair of 'phones used a type of hybrid tips that curved in the ear bowl and very shallowly entered the canal.  At first the SE215 bodies hurt my ears because they pushed against the bowl of my ears because the bowls had molded themselves around the old tips I used them so much!  That's sorted itself out now, but the shure olives still need addressing.  

The olives are uncomfortable for 3-5 minutes after insertion, then fairly decent or tolerable for 45 minutes, maybe an hour.  After that they start getting progressively more uncomfortable and I eventually have to take them out and let my ears breath for 10-15 minutes.  Given that I use my 'phones for 3-5 hours at a time, this is a huge issue. 

I tried taking the 'stock' medium sized pair of olives off, no cigar.  I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but it's like they're superglued to the drivers.  Pinching and pulling does nothing, pinching and twisting while pulling does nothing.  Pushing the back end of the cleaning tool against the cores does nothing.  What?  Am I doing this wrong, or are my tips defective and stuck?  Do I just have to pull harder? 

I'd rather not break them trying to take them off, because if I don't like silicone tips more, I'll need these because medium has always been my right fit.

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 3
well one of the most recommended tips is to detach the cable from the iem and then stick the iem into the freezer for a couple min.  After that the shure olive comes right off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back