How to power up Westone W80
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bsox

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I bought westone w80 last week. at first, i used my iphone with dongle to listen to music and i was hearing the crackling sounds at female vocal high pitches. So i tried sony WM1A and WM1Z and i m still hearing a bit. Is it due to lack of burn-in duration or these cannot power up w80 completely? Please advise the recommended setup for w80. I am thinking to buy hi res audio player. Please suggest too. Thanks a lot for the help

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 6
I think WM1A and WM1Z are certainly sufficient to pair with W80. Could it be manufacturing fault? I think Jaben has demo unit and you can visit them to do an AB test with your current set.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you so much for the info. I visited the service center of westone w80 and they told me that this is not driver issue. I am hearing those crackling sounds at high volumes. for wm1a/z, at about 70+ volume. Btw, i bought this from headphone concept store at plaza sing

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 6
i bought this from headphone concept store at plaza sing
Stereo? I always visit ConnectIT or Jaben because the staffs there are more friendly and helpful :)

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Wow! I have Westone W80 and the Sony WM1A player and I listen to music (unbalanced) at 18-21 (low setting of DAP) and mow my lawn for over an hour…I cannot imagine listening at “70” with these efficient W80 IEM with a Sony WM1A at the low output setting.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Thank you so much for the info. I visited the service center of westone w80 and they told me that this is not driver issue. I am hearing those crackling sounds at high volumes. for wm1a/z, at about 70+ volume. Btw, i bought this from headphone concept store at plaza sing

I've had IEMs with lower sensitivity than that and even smartphones with just 15mW of power (and can't possibly have much more gain) will blow my eardrums at 70% on any recording louder than low gain classical music from an audiophile label.

Chances are they might be some kind of defect with the crossovers on your Westones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back