How to position the components in my system
Jan 10, 2007 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my sony cdp-ce375 and finished setting it up. Right now i have the cd player on my desk with my amp and dac sitting side by side on top of it. My question is if this is safe or if i should put the amp next to the cd player on my desk. My amp is the darkvoice 336i and my dac is the small entech 203.2. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my sony cdp-ce375 and finished setting it up. Right now i have the cd player on my desk with my amp and dac sitting side by side on top of it. My question is if this is safe or if i should put the amp next to the cd player on my desk. My amp is the darkvoice 336i and my dac is the small entech 203.2. Thanks.

Long as your not getting any interference I cannot see why this would be any problem unless your cd player gets hot.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 13
In fact, you can probably hear an improvement in sound with the placement of a heavy object on top of your Cd player. This sounds strange, but try it !

Also, if you can plug in your amp to a different electric outlet than the one used by the Cd player and the DAC, you will further improve the sound.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 13
And if you put aluminum foil on top of your head, that will eliminate any interference from the drivers.......further improving the sound!!!
icon10.gif
LOL
icon10.gif
Well you're still entertaining gonglee.
icon10.gif

I would just make sure that if your CD player has any vent holes on top, that those stay exposed so that air can circulate. If not, then you should be able to stack components on top or on the side.

If you seriously get into this hobby and start collecting a lot of equipment, I found a good A/V rack at Office Max for $65.....5 floating shelves. Should provide plenty of ventilation.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonglee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, you can probably hear an improvement in sound with the placement of a heavy object on top of your Cd player. This sounds strange, but try it !

Also, if you can plug in your amp to a different electric outlet than the one used by the Cd player and the DAC, you will further improve the sound.
rs1smile.gif

+1 for the heavy object. Thats why i place my Amp on my CD player! I also place thick slabs of wood under my components! No kidding.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonglee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rs1smile.gif

+2 gonglee: While I do find gonglee's posts quite entertaining to read, I have to agree with him on this. I have always kept my amp on top of my CDP. I like it like that. However, there are no vents on the top.

As for using a separate outlet, he is correct. I'd go even further to reduce any interference and use a completely different circuit, if possible.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Does it really bring on that much of a sound difference guys?
icon10.gif
OK, stacking some unnaturally heavy object on my CD player is dooable......but I'd much rather get a power conditioner over trying to get long extension cords so that each of my components has a seperate outlet (which would be impossible since I have a HT rig as well as my headphone rig).

I would also say that the CD player is poorly made if you can hear a huge difference stacking something(and it's not placebo). The only thing I can see that covering a player would do, would be to cut down on interference. I don't know how heavy your objects have to be.....I've got my DAC and switchbox on top of my CD player.....don't hear any differences.

I'm just going to continue to be skeptical....and completely LOL if gonglee mentions aluminum foil hats
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 13
I too am a bit skeptical that piling lots of weight on the cd player will make any appreciable difference if it is of good build. The only way I could see it helping with is resonance and one would hope that has already under control. Another way to curb that problem would be a dampening material like dynamat. I have never tried it on my audio gear but have extensively in my car with great results.
As far as outlets, to truly get this effect you would need to be on different circuits, not just plugged into the same outlet. Personally I couldn't tell any difference from plugging into the same outlet or a different circuit. I would be a bit cautious with power conditioners. My experience less is more, with a majority of them taking away from the overall sound of the music. I know it sounds hard to believe but the music was noticeably flatter sounding.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 13
i stack em to the ceiling. but i do put some isolation cones and blocks inbetween, more for heat ventilation than for anything else.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 13
That's true....maybe there's some dampening factors going on if the transport isn't solid enough to dampen out the vibrations. So that and interference maybe. Well my CD player seems well enough made that holding the case while playing a CD does absolutely nothing to SQ.

Interesting observation Micheal415.....I was thinking about getting a power conditioner, but now have no reason to switch from my powerstrip.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah the power conditioner effects have been beaten to death on the board, lol. Not to get too far off topic but I recall reading I believe on this board that a smart ups was the only viable option, but at +$400 and my previous experience with conditioners I am hesitant.

Jan 12, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 13
I have a quick question:

Does a CD player need to be placed on a level surface like a turntable?
The shelves on my stand have a slight forward lean to them. Just wondering if that affects the CD player at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back