How to play SACD DSD .iso file in Windows PC ?
May 8, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #18 of 31
A heads up for anyone following this thread: a new version is out for the foobar sacd input plugin (0.9.7), which no longer requires the ASIO plugin and proxy method like version 0.8.4 and earlier, but can directly output a DSD stream over DoP via WASAPI using foobar's WASAPI plugin.
This has made playback more stable for me, especially when foobar has to give back exclusive control of the audio device for use by other programs.

Foobar does convert to PCM. The only way to natively play DSD AFAIK is either through a DVD ISO on a Oppo BDP-8x/9x or on a DAP that plays DFF files riped from a PS3.

No. Foobar does natively stream DSD to a DSD-capable device, by wrapping the DSD stream in a PCM stream by means of DoP (DSD over PCM). This way it can play ISO files ripped by PS3, or DSF and DFF files. Obviously you need to have a DSD-capable device for this, set it up correctly with the foo_input_sacd plugin and use the WASAPI output plugin.
If your device is not capable of DSD playback, foobar will indeed convert to PCM by means of this plugin. In other words: the sacd decoder plugin supports both native DSD output and PCM conversion. Choose DSD mode in its preferences page (preferences > tools > sacd), and select DSD : WASAPI (event) : [your device name] as the output device (preferences > playback > output).

Edit: while it's possible to let foobar convert DSD files to flac in this way, it's best to first use the ISO2DSF utility for this, to prevent audible clicks. I just explained this here (download link to utility included there as well).

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 31
  A heads up for anyone following this thread: a new version is out for the foobar sacd input plugin (0.9.7), which no longer requires the ASIO plugin and proxy method like version 0.8.4 and earlier, but can directly output a DSD stream over DoP via WASAPI using foobar's WASAPI plugin.
This has made playback more stable for me, especially when foobar has to give back exclusive control of the audio device for use by other programs.

Foobar does convert to PCM. The only way to natively play DSD AFAIK is either through a DVD ISO on a Oppo BDP-8x/9x or on a DAP that plays DFF files riped from a PS3.

No. Foobar does natively stream DSD to a DSD-capable device, by wrapping the DSD stream in a PCM stream by means of DoP (DSD over PCM). This way it can play ISO files ripped by PS3, or DSF and DFF files. Obviously you need to have a DSD-capable device for this, set it up correctly with the foo_input_sacd plugin and use the WASAPI output plugin.
If your device is not capable of DSD playback, foobar will indeed convert to PCM by means of this plugin. In other words: the sacd decoder plugin supports both native DSD output and PCM conversion. Choose DSD mode in its preferences page (preferences > tools > sacd), and select DSD : WASAPI (event) : [your device name] as the output device (preferences > playback > output).

Edit: while it's possible to let foobar convert DSD files to flac in this way, it's best to first use the ISO2DSF utility for this, to prevent audible clicks. I just explained this here (download link to utility included there as well).

I found that for playing DOP DSD, it's better to use 0.84 than 0.97.  The timer at the bottom right would rip through the track faster, and the track could only be listened to until the timer reached the end, cutting off the rest of the file.  0.8.4  solved that problem for me.  There is a help forum for Foobar2000 problems.  You'll have to search for it as I don't have the address on me right now.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #20 of 31

I found that for playing DOP DSD, it's better to use 0.84 than 0.97.  The timer at the bottom right would rip through the track faster, and the track could only be listened to until the timer reached the end, cutting off the rest of the file.  0.8.4  solved that problem for me.  There is a help forum for Foobar2000 problems.  You'll have to search for it as I don't have the address on me right now.

I do not experience this problem.

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 31

I do not experience this problem.

I'm glad to hear that.  I wonder why.  Maybe it's my OS or DAC.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 31
If you read the changelog, you'll see under 0.9.0: 'Sketchy: Direct DSD output for compatible ASIO devices', and then under 0.9.7: 'direct DSD for ASIO removed'. My guess is that the developer couldn't get it to work properly/reliably, but obviously you would have to ask him if you would want to know for sure.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 31
  If you read the changelog, you'll see under 0.9.0: 'Sketchy: Direct DSD output for compatible ASIO devices', and then under 0.9.7: 'direct DSD for ASIO removed'. My guess is that the developer couldn't get it to work properly/reliably, but obviously you would have to ask him if you would want to know for sure.

Thanks. With the update, I can use Wasapi to run to play DSDs which is much more stable, but my DAC's display says DoP. Shouldn't really be a difference right?

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 31
DoP means DSD over PCM, which is exactly what you need to send a DSD signal over a connection originally designed for PCM signals. If your DAC says DoP, it means it is receiving the DSD stream correctly and thus that you have set up everything as it should be.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #27 of 31
  DoP means DSD over PCM, which is exactly what you need to send a DSD signal over a connection originally designed for PCM signals. If your DAC says DoP, it means it is receiving the DSD stream correctly and thus that you have set up everything as it should be.

Thanks. I did some research and was originally confused with the term DSD over PCM thinking it converts it the DSD to PCM. Apparently playing DSD natively through ASIO or using DoP is pretty much the same in terms of quality. Since now I can play my SACD iso files through WASAPI, I'll just stick with it. ASIO has always given me issues with buffers. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #28 of 31
Hello there!

I have a few SACD's I purchased a few years ago at the time I bought a used Sony SACD player. I have not played them that much lately because the HT setup is in LR and to make a long story short, I now have a DSD DAC and would like to rip the ISO image from the SACD. After I have the ISO file, I will be following instruction I found online to rip the individual DSD files from the ISO. I just don't have a way of ripping the ISO file from the SACD. Can anyone help me?

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #29 of 31
  Hello there!

I have a few SACD's I purchased a few years ago at the time I bought a used Sony SACD player. I have not played them that much lately because the HT setup is in LR and to make a long story short, I now have a DSD DAC and would like to rip the ISO image from the SACD. After I have the ISO file, I will be following instruction I found online to rip the individual DSD files from the ISO. I just don't have a way of ripping the ISO file from the SACD. Can anyone help me?

Right now there's not an easy way to do that. You need a first gen PS3 that has SACD capability with an old firmware. It's also not for beginners.. You can check the computeraudiophile forums for more info. I saw a thread there that certain models of Oppo and Pioneer blu ray players can rip as well. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #30 of 31
Just wanted to inform fellow DSD-playing folks that the latest WavPack version, which is still in development, now has DSD functionality, meaning that WavPack can now be used as a format to pack/compress both PCM and DSD files, with tagging support. See here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112529.0.html​ .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back