How to play music wirelessly without losing sound quality?
Dec 4, 2016 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Seamaster

Headphoneus Supremus
OK ladies and Gens, I need some help here.

After many years using trusty Meridian G08.1 CDP, I found myself using my MacBook lots recently for convenience. For now, I am using a USB cable to connect my system but it is so annoying to plug and unplug each time I have to use my computer for something else. I am thinking wireless connection maybe the best method to listen to my digital library but being lag behind the technology curve, I really don't know what is available on the market right now. I really want to use iPad as a transport instead my MacBook, what do you think? I do have an Apple AirPort Extreme hooked up for extra storage. 

My setup:

MacBook or iPad Air 2 as sources > ??? (need help here) > McIntosh D150 DAC > DeHavilland Ultraverve 3 Preamp > Tannoy Turnberry Speakers.

Hey, thanks guys.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Currently I am experimenting with an old MacMini as my player. This has a Plex server, and Plex handles both the iTunes archive and FLAC files in addition to whatever else I tell it to organize. I also have Spotify running and VLC if I just want to spontaneously play something.
The Mini is hooked up to my system via Toslink.

The point of doing it this way is to bypass some loss due to streaming. Turns out it is very convenient as well. All three mentioned apps are remotely controlled via my iPhone.

I own Apple TV and airport products that has optical as well, but I do not want to use them since Airplay occasionally drops out.

If you want simple affordable streaming I would recommend getting an Chromecast Audio device and hook it up via Optical. I much prefer Chromecast over Airplay due to stability and Youtube interaction. Browsing youtube from any device is much better with Chromecast due to playlist/cue functionality.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 6
  As you are using Apple products, have a look at Airplay.
A simple solution might be to hook up a Airport Express over the optical to your DAC.

Does Airport has any restriction on file type? Or is this even a question? Does optical cable quality matters? I know USB does. Thanks.

PS: Airport Express Vs. Apple TV, same thing? which one?

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 6
  Currently I am experimenting with an old MacMini as my player. This has a Plex server, and Plex handles both the iTunes archive and FLAC files in addition to whatever else I tell it to organize. I also have Spotify running and VLC if I just want to spontaneously play something.
The Mini is hooked up to my system via Toslink.

The point of doing it this way is to bypass some loss due to streaming. Turns out it is very convenient as well. All three mentioned apps are remotely controlled via my iPhone.

I own Apple TV and airport products that has optical as well, but I do not want to use them since Airplay occasionally drops out.

If you want simple affordable streaming I would recommend getting an Chromecast Audio device and hook it up via Optical. I much prefer Chromecast over Airplay due to stability and Youtube interaction. Browsing youtube from any device is much better with Chromecast due to playlist/cue functionality.

I do have pretty stable Airplay signal in my house. Same question, does file type matter with airplay, such as DSD? How is Chromecast Audio sound quality? Thanks.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 6

I do not know how file type plays into Airplay, nor what my iPhone or computer does to the audio when I just stream my system audio through airplay.

I have to say though, I find the quality of the chromecast to be very good indeed.

I do have the latest apple router, and the latest express, and the network is good here. Still, the airplay is not as reliable as I like it to me. Experience wise, the chromecast does a better job of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back