How to play DSD natively?
Aug 30, 2021 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

theaudiologist1

100+ Head-Fier
I have a DAC/AMP that is capable of 32bits 384kHz PCM and up to DSD256 on the DSD side and I have connected it to my computer. Unfortunately I have MacOS and Linux, neither which play DSD natively. On DoP I can only get up to DSD128 with 384kHz. Is there even a way of playing DSD natively through my DAC I am not aware of? I just want to try out DSD256.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Jriver media software has both MAC and Linux variants. It has a free trial.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 8
I have a DAC/AMP that is capable of 32bits 384kHz PCM and up to DSD256 on the DSD side and I have connected it to my computer. Unfortunately I have MacOS and Linux, neither which play DSD natively. On DoP I can only get up to DSD128 with 384kHz. Is there even a way of playing DSD natively through my DAC I am not aware of? I just want to try out DSD256.
If your DAC uses a USB interface made by Amanero or something with the XMOS chipset, native non-DOP DSD is supported on Linux, just have the ALSA modules loaded in your distribution.
I use Ubuntu 20.04 to run HQPlayer's NAA audio endpoint, it gives me Native DSD up to DSD512

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 8
If your DAC uses a USB interface made by Amanero or something with the XMOS chipset, native non-DOP DSD is supported on Linux, just have the ALSA modules loaded in your distribution.
I use Ubuntu 20.04 to run HQPlayer's NAA audio endpoint, it gives me Native DSD up to DSD512
I don't think my DAC does.

With a DAP/DAC that can play DSD in "Native" mode.

But you won't notice any difference in any case between DOP/DSD and also between DSD128/256.

So, as the guy above says, sit back and enjoy the music.
If I get a DAP that plays DSD natively but up to DSD128 and connect my DAC to it can it play DSD256 natively?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back