How to play 24bit-192khz FLAC using USB to DAC?
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xing3ds

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I need help.

How to play FLAC music file 24bit-192Khz thru USB to DAC?
Is it possible doing that thru USB?
My DAC supports 24bit-192Khz.

I have tested with Foobar + ASIO4ALL and it wont works.
It works well for 16/44.1, 24/88, and 24/96 but not 24/192... it just cannot be played.. a window error will pop up if i try to play the file.

Help please.

Many thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 7
You have to downsample it to 96kHz or less.
192kHz over USB can't be done from what I know.  Perhaps in the future.

Edit: fix'd, lol

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
You have to downsample it to 96kHz or less.
192kHz over USB can't be done from what I know.  Perhaps in the future.

At least E-MU 0404 USB can do that.

USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
spacer_1_1_70.gif
spacer_1_1_70.gif
spacer_1_1_70.gif
spacer_1_1_70.gif
- Full 24-bit resolution at all sample rates
spacer_1_1_70.gif
- 4in/4 out channels from 44.1-96kHz
spacer_1_1_70.gif
- 2 in/2 out channels from 176.4-192kHz

xing3ds:

If there isn't a dedicated WDM driver available for the DAC model then, it's possible that the Asio4All uses some generic one which does not support higher samplerates than 96kHz (isn't the Asio4All a WDM wrapper 'driver' ?).  

Have you tried if 192kHz works w/o Asio4all (Direct Sound or Primary sound driver (set the DAC become default output device) in Foobar (or Null output))?
Doesn't 192kHz work in other software either (try as WAV as well) (Qtime, etc.)?

jiitee

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 7
The Microsoft Windows usb driver only supports up to 96k. If you want higher, you need a custom driver. These are usually supplied by the soundcard or dac maker if their product will play higher than 96k. It's possible your dac (like mine) only supports 192k from the coax/toslink (s/pdif) input and is limited to the native <=96k speed thru usb. ASIO4ALL bypasses some layers of windows, but still uses the standard usb driver. One way around this situation is to get a usb to s/pdif converter (transport).

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah. You don't give the make or model of your DAC but like people have said if it uses the class compliant (generic windows) drivers it will not do 192.

You could try the manufacturers website and see if there is a suitable driver available but in general 'audiophile' grade devices don't supply bespoke software. It's cheaper and writing software isn't a core competency.

Most pro-am grade audio interfaces (Focusrite, E-MU, MOTU, RME, TC-Konnekt, Presonus etc etc) will handle multiple channel 192 no problem. Along with many other real world advantages not least ultra low latency. These devices are often used with Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) or other sophisticated audio programs and the manufacturers supply bespoke drivers as a matter of course. You pay extra for better supported drivers - RME has the best reputation - but these devices offer extremely good value for money compared to 'audiophile' grade equivalents so it's not a problem.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Another option is to use a USB to coax like the m2tech hiface. Goes to 192 but does use a custom driver. Many USB chips are sourced by TI and tenor and stop at 48k or go to 96 but don't support 88. Going to coax a) allows all frequencies over spdif with fewer caveats, to the limit of most dac inputs.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 19, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the reply, jiiteepee, Justin Uthadude, RonaldDumsfeld, and mrspeakers.

based on your reply... I went to the manufacturer website and look at the specifications... The USB supports only up to 24/96Khz, and the only way to go to 192Khz is to use Coaxial or OPTICAL.

hehehe.. my mistake..

have A FUNtastic Week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back