How to plan a Eurotrip?
Aug 8, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm hoping to do some backpacking through Europe for a few weeks to a few months. But I have absolutely no idea where to get started and what the most economic route is. Can anyone who has backpacked before point me in the right direction? Best place(s) to begin researching, travel tips, ways to save money, where to go, etc., are all relevant.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 17
SCOTTY DOESN'T KNOW!!!

damon-3.JPG

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 17
If you are a student, you should look into getting a discount card for the trains... a friend who lives in Spain has told me it saves a lot of time and money...

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 17
You can get a train ticket that allows you to go on an trains across europe for a set time. My friends did it before university, they basically went a kinda circular route, from Amsterdam, to Paris, then South of France (nice, Monaco), down to East side of Italy, to Sicily, up the left side, then to spain (Barcelona first), down the coast, to Madridd, then Portugal, and then up back to France and Amsterdam and flew home from there. They missed out on Germany and Eastern Europe on purpose as it didn't interest them.

You can do a similar thing but put Germany in there somewhere if thats where you want to go.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 17
Look at the Lonely Planet series of books. They are geared towards young people with not a lot of money and usually have good suggestions for hostels and places to eat.

Get a Eurail pass, as someone already mentioned.

Buy a pack towel - it's this super-absorbant chamois-like piece of fabric that you use as a towel. It dries really quickly and packs up tiny.

Bring a cable lock to lock your backpack to luggage racks and bedframes. Also bring a combination lock.

Get one of those geeky money/id belts that goes underneath your clothing. Keep your plane tickets, passport, credit cards and cash in it. Then just keep a small amount of cash in your pocket. Pickpocketing tends to be a much larger problem in Europe than in the U.S. and you do NOT want to be stranded somewhere with no money or ID.

Do your research, but don't plan too much. As you go you'll find some places you don't like and want to leave quickly and others you like very much. Allow yourself flexibility.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 17
Excellent advice above, especially the Eurail pass. I would only add the following: don't completely ignore the countryside! For example, the area south of Florence, Italy is just beautiful, especially the towns of San Gimignano and Pienza. You'll find the accommodations less expensive and the people friendlier.

And, btw, your in box is full - I've been trying to send you a pm.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 17
I'll take those to heart viator (and psycho), thanks.

Cleared out my PM's.

Which is cheaper - a eurorail pass or a bus pass?

Also, for those who have backpacked, for how long did you go and how long did you wish you had stayed?

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 17
I highly recommend Rick Steve's Euro guide book.

I find that asking questions like this on the internet a bit confusing although it can help. A good guide book is better organized and much better. Yes, spend the few dollars and buy one. It's worth it.

This forum is not the best forum for your question. A much better place to ask questions especially for updated information is at tripadvisor.com. There's lots of message boards dedicated for Europe travel. Again, a good guide book like Rick Steves would be easier to follow and take less of your time searching for answers on the internet, although the internet is good for updated info.

The Europe forums are on the left side of the screen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Which is cheaper - a eurorail pass or a bus pass?

I'm not even aware of a bus pass. Regardless, get the Eurail. The flexibility of being able to go to the train station and hop on virtually any train to anywhere is wonderful. Go to www.raileurope.com to purchase the pass (which must be done before you leave the U.S.).

Then go to www.bahn.de (click on internat. guests for the English version) to begin to get some idea of the extensiveness of the network in Europe and the frequency with which the trains depart.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 17
A some phase books, most of the people in big cities in europe can speak English. However if you go up to them and just speak english the chances are they WILL ignore you and pretend don't understand what you are talking about.

If you show some efford in speaking the local language, they'll be a lot more friendly and probably speak english back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back