How to Pick a Good Sound Card
Jan 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #46 of 51
There is no reason to buy Creative cards predating the X-Fi line unless you have very particular reasons.

-kX Project drivers (Live!/Audigy series only, not meant for gaming due to broken EAX)
-DOS games (Now we're getting into the really old ISA stuff like the SB16 and AWE32 that won't even fit in modern computers.)

Other than those, just get a proper X-Fi card with the EMU20k1/20k2 and be done with it.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #48 of 51
I'm confused why there hasn't been any mention of the newer creative Z line (as well as the Zx and ZxR).  Still waiting to hear more reviews on those new cards before I pick a sound card.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:
I'm confused why there hasn't been any mention of the newer creative Z line (as well as the Zx and ZxR).  Still waiting to hear more reviews on those new cards before I pick a sound card.

Consider me extremely skeptical of their gaming capabilities since they're based on Sound Core3D like the Recon3D products.

If someone gives me one of those cards to review, though, I'll do it. Just don't expect me to go out and spend my own money on one.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #51 of 51
Quote:
Would a USB Sound card sound better than a decent sound card?

For gaming, no, because internal sound cards are the most feature-filled.

For music and movies, that depends on exactly which pair of products you're comparing, since you're really just in the market for something with a high-quality DAC (and I don't just mean some DAC chip, but the whole analog section that can make or break the entire product).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back