how to organize loose music files in to folders
Mar 25, 2006 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

litlharsh

100+ Head-Fier
I had to transfer all the music to my comp via mp3 player after my old hd crashed, but the problem is that they are not organized.

so I have 1000 loose files in my music folder, and I was wondering if there was a program that could put them into folders

they do have tags.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 34
The player software should organize them for you. Winamp sorts all that stuff, it doesn't need to be sorted into folders. It reads the tags and puts it all in order, right?

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
The player software should organize them for you. Winamp sorts all that stuff, it doesn't need to be sorted into folders. It reads the tags and puts it all in order, right?

Well, it's nice to organize thousands of tunes into folders, no?
biggrin.gif
I think that's what litlharsh wants. A program that can organize music into folders based on their tags.

iTunes has an effective but non-customizable organization function. It organizes your music into folders based on:
main_folder/artist/album/

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 34
MediaMonkey (the registered version) can organise files into any filetree structure you want based on tags. Or rewrite tags from filenames or filenames from tags. Of course you have to fix your tags and filenames for it to work. My current schema is along the lines of...

/Genre/Album Artist/Album/Artist Album -Album - track no. title - composer.mp3

I've tried iTunes/MusicMatch JB/WMP and so far I just find MediaMonkey the easiest way. None of them are perfect. They all make mistakes with the tags and even the online lookups are often incorrect. If I get stuck with one app I might fire up a different one just to get a better lookup and fix the tags.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 34
foobar2000 can rename/organize your music, and it is very customizable. just put all the music into a playlist, select all, right click -> file operations -> rename/move

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 34
Don't understand your question. But heres a couple of examples. Sometimes I drop the artist at the start if its a mixed artist album.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Blues - 01 - Hear My Train Comin' (Acoustic).flac
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Blues - 03 - Red House.flac
Movie Classics - 02 - Platoon-Adagio for Strings, Op. 11 - Barber.flac
Movie Classics - 04 - Die Hard 2 - Finlandia, Op. 26 - Sibelius.flac
Movie Classics - 12 - Gallipoli - Adagio in G minor - Albinoni-Giazotto.flac
Rammstein-Mutter-02-Links.mp3
Rammstein-Mutter-08-Zwitter.mp3
Rammstein-Mutter-09-Rein_Raus.mp3
Eric Clapton - From The Cradle - 01 - Blues Before Sunrise.mp3
Eric Clapton - From The Cradle - 07 - How Long Blues.mp3
Eric Clapton - Chronicles - 01 - Blue Eyes Blue.mp3
Eric Clapton - Chronicles - 02 - Change The World.mp3
Eric Clapton - Chronicles - 07 - Bad Love.mp3

What I'm doing is putting useful tag info in the filename, so that if I need to retag or reorganise many apps can pull the tags out of the filename. I prefix the name with artist - album so that if I do a search on the filenames the list is sorted artist then album then title. Which is much more useful than just using track no and title which I used to do.

Its a work in progress. Theres many ways to do it, this is just how I do it and find useful. Obvously its not useful if you use a filetree player like an X5/iRiver and don't use tags to navigate. In which case you might want to use track no - title - album - artist. The disadvantage of that method is that if you do a file search the list will not sort alphabetically in anyway that makes sense.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
foobar2000 can rename/organize your music, and it is very customizable. just put all the music into a playlist, select all, right click -> file operations -> rename/move

Why does it need to be in a playlist? MediaMonkey allows you to browse the HD (filetree) or use the tags. Which is why I find it useful in cleaning up my own messy library.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Why does it need to be in a playlist? MediaMonkey allows you to browse the HD (filetree) or use the tags. Which is why I find it useful in cleaning up my own messy library.

No playlists in use here too.
I'm using NI BeatPort Player, which has also a directory browser --> my files are organized in HD as ...\Artist_name\Album_name\nn - file_name.ext.

Even this player is capable for playlists and also makes all kind of playlists 'automatically';
- current playlist
- search result list
- shuffle list
- track collection
- playlist/mixes history
- history

, I do not use them quite often.

jiitee

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
No playlists in use here too. ....

I actually meant why do tracks have to be in a playlist in Foobar2000 for you to be able organise them?

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191

A playlist really just means a list of music you want to play or perform an operation on. It doesn't need to be a playlist saved to file. That's the foobar interface for you, it's not for everyone. If you have all your music in one folder, you can just drag that folder into the foobar window and foobar will add it (recursively) to the active playlist.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
A playlist really just means a list of music you want to play or perform an operation on. It doesn't need to be a playlist saved to file. ...

Semantics maybe, but a play list to me is what want to play only. Not something I want to do an operation on. Either way MediaMonkey allows you to do operations on playlists (as understood by Foobar) or files not in a playlist.

Best for me is it allows you to see the difference bewteen filtree and tags for a bunch of files. Not in a very polished way, but workable for fixing tags and filetree.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 34
Sorry for the GINORMOUS bump, but my comp crashed...my hd survived. I just looked at the music folder a bit ago, and they're still there. so I got mediamonkey gold, now I just need the option to get them into folders. I don't know how to do this. the filenames are all aranged differently I think, but they all have tags.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 34
In the pane on the left, theres the library tree. In there the music files are organised by their tags. But if you look beneath that you'll see the My Computer tree. In there the files are organised by their folder on the HD. Just like Windows Explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back